DreamScience or FPM375 – how safe is it?

Home Forums Performance Engine DreamScience or FPM375 – how safe is it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

tobys
    Participant

UK - England

Hi all,

I’m considering having my Focus RS remapped at some point. I’m thinking of either DreamScience or Mountune FPM375. This will be the first time I’ve ever had one of my cars remapped/tuned.

My question is what are the risks of doing this? I can see talk online of some cars having their engines blow (was this mainly caused by the HG issue, or is the 2.3 EcoBoost just a very fragile engine?). My car had the HG recall done a year after it was purchased (carried out during the original owner’s ownership) at around 9k miles. Is it likely the extra power could cause my issues? Mechanically, the car is stock and I had a new clutch 2,000 miles ago (replaced because the slave cylinder had failed, so it made sense to swap it out whilst the gearbox was out of the car). My car is on 37k miles now. Previous owner had the car up until 33k miles so I can’t say how it was driven but I can say it has full service history.

Also, would I be better sticking with the FPM375 because it’s Ford approved? Car is out of warranty, so not sure it makes too much of a difference… But on the flip side if the engine did go I would still be speaking to Ford about at least a contribution towards repair.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Storm – ’17 Plate Stealth Grey MK3 Focus RS.

• Collins Performance CP2
    • Lux Pack
    • Winter Pack
    • Standard Wheels (Powder Coated in Black) wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
    • Standard Seats
    • Sony 10 Speaker Stereo
    • Nav & Reverse Camera
    • Shadow Black OEM Spoiler with Mountune Carbon Fibre Spoiler Lip
    • Mishimoto Cold Air Intake
    • Mountune Lowering Springs (10mm lower front, 15mm lower rear)
    • Mountune Roll Restrictor/Engine Mount
    • EBC Brakelines
    • Airtec Intercooler and Big Boost Pipe Kit
    • Scorpion Exhaust (with Daytona Tips)

RS@WUB
    Participant

UK - England

for every one bad luck story there 100 good ones, I’m high miles and mines had stage 1 map for majority of miles and no issues.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Toby, seems there are plenty of folk on here with the DS2+ etc and have had no issues and done plenty of miles. I think the only big thing you have to do is be aware of (even with the std car) is to  NOT to give it bags of wide open throttle at low revs in a high gear, so if you are doing 70mph on the motorway and want to accelerate a bit, dont just stay in 6th and give it full throttle, change down a few gears ! Don’t even stab the throttle wide open if you are in  2nd gear at say 10mph, be progressive with it till the revs are up and its got going before full throttle, your pistons will thank you for it !

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

The issue is the engine internals (apart from the crank) are cheap and nasty components and just about ok for factory or an approved mod possibly !!!

The pistons and rods fail in standard powered cars, it’s just a lottery if yours will go bang or not.

Generally one of the two will let go, or possibly the balance shaft will vibrate loose and that makes a right mess of everything.

Personally I’d stay way way away from Dreamscience maps.

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

tobys
    Participant

UK - England

@71-bda I have to be honest, I have been guilty of keeping her in higher gears whilst in higher gear at lower revs (used to driving diesels) (this engine has so much pulling power!). Just hope I haven’t done too much damage… She seems to drive absolutely fine but I’ve read into LSPI (low speed pre-ignition for anyone not sure) recently so I’ll be changing my driving style with her (keep the revs higher).

@white-rs2
    Is the engine on these cars really that bad? I’m a bit worried now that I’m gonna end up with a car with a blown engine at some point which I won’t be able to afford to repair. 😬 The MK3 RS is my dream car.

I think I’m pretty much decided that if I go down the remap route, it’ll be FPM375. At least if I have any issues and have to ask Ford for assistance/a contribution towards repair, they can’t deny it on the modification front (although I’m sure they’ll deny it on the out of warranty grounds, despite the known issues!)

• Lux Pack
    • Winter Pack
    • Standard Seats
    • Sony 10 Speaker Stereo
    • Nav & Reverse Camera
    • EBC Brakelines

18stealth
    Participant

UK - England

Toby / BDA is right, it is LSPI that kills them.

Don’t push it hard at low RPM

Change oil more regular

Warm up before “larging”, most say at least 25 percent on the oil guage, or “first quarter”.

Usual after “larging” let things cool down a little before shutdown.

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

In theory this motor should have been tested in all manner of situations, the more you read the more you get alarmed or that’s my take. In answer to the thread title the FPM 375 is warranty friendly and the Dreamscience isn’t so that answers the question for me.

Coastliner

andy thornton
    Participant

UK - England

Personally I think using Launch control would do more damage than doing map upgrade,The same with drift modes as lots of engine damage is done at high revs /cold or not warm enough oil will cause pickup on mating surfaces,Dreamscience is well tested and if you want to ring them and ask them about it they will happily charge you 5 pence a minute for their time.I have used the I map and it does really pull like a train and is a bit hairy in the wet on roundabouts .

I map will be up for sale next week

Former RS Edition owner

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

@tobys: That engine is quite robust I would say once the HG issue is rectified. I’ve driven mine with Revo Stage 1 with nominal 380 bhp for 120000 km, no issues at all. I did not lug it, but hooned it once in a while on demanding alpine roads, even on track.

There is one caution, though, keep that bloody blanking plate on your stock intercooler for heaven’s sake 😆

Revo Stage 1 – JCR super low seating frame – Mishimoto gas pedal spacer – DSC sport controller

Nateodog
    Participant

UK - England

I disagree with some of these comments sabre tuned standard engines standard turbo see 400+ bhp and are daily driven no issues

also sabre tunes stock engine stock turbo but with meth see 465 and 498lbft again no issues and daily driven

There are soooo many now running thier tunes no issues

so now try and convince me again how weak and shit these engines are?

SABRE

666.6 bhp 99 oct & wmi

558 lbft

OEMeth installs

Aquamist

sabre tuning

Spec-R

J9-performance

funk motorsport

Hel

Owen developments

WP Pro brakes

HELIX Automotive

KW suspensions

Barney Build

Grant Motorsport

jamors
    Participant

Australia

Forget about these shi7 OTS tunes and do yourself a favour and get a proper pro tune.

I can highly recommend JST Performance

All you need is an accessport and a few dollars and away you go.

A proper tune, optimised for YOUR CAR.

Worth the money and much safer.

tobys
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks all. I went FPM375 in the end.

• Lux Pack
    • Winter Pack
    • Standard Seats
    • Sony 10 Speaker Stereo
    • Nav & Reverse Camera
    • EBC Brakelines

hitch6742
    Participant

UK - England

Good lad…so from standard to now 375 what’s your opinion on the difference?

NB 375, Goodrich hoses, RDU cooler (fitted for the hell of it), gas bonnet struts, Mountune RR, hard pipe kit, V1 cat-back….and RS seat covers!

stu-c
    Participant

UK - England

Happy with mine. Glad I had it done.

Has the MP215 on the old fiesta ST too and that was equally as good.

For me though, that’s enough.

NB FPM375

tobys
    Participant

UK - England

@hitch6742 love what FPM did for the car. It just seemed to wake it up. Although I’ve quickly got used to the power! Just a shame FJRS found an oil leak on the car when it was fitted. Ford have “repaired” it but I suspect it’ll come back at some point.

Got a new Airtec intercooler (from the club shop) and Mountune charge pipe kit on order which is being fitted at the end of the month.

Perhaps when (if) things settle down in the world and fuel costs etc. become a bit more reasonable I’ll consider forging the engine and going up go 400/420bhp. Probably look at getting SCC to do that.

• Lux Pack
    • Winter Pack
    • Standard Seats
    • Sony 10 Speaker Stereo
    • Nav & Reverse Camera
    • EBC Brakelines
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to DreamScience or FPM375 – how safe is it?. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!