Fitted 18” wheels what a difference!!

Home Forums Styling Wheels Fitted 18” wheels what a difference!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

mrbrett
    Participant

Netherlands

Goodday

had a set of new 18inch wheels fitted today with new 225/40 michelin alpin pa4 winter tyres. What a difference over the 19inch forged wheels with the standard michelins. Car feels so much more planted. Can anyone explain this? Is it the rubber? The rims a combo. I was told that my front’s need to be replaved next summer what tyres to buy?

Greetz D

yorkirs
    Participant

UK - England

Combination of a number of factors providing a different Driving feel.

Softer compound.
    Increased profile from 35 To 40 allows softer sidewalls.
    New tyres will have more depth of tread.
    Tyre pressures may lower.

I found moving to winter tyre introduced a Totally different feeling through the steering, almost like leaning, felt a little like understeer at first for a second when cornering.

Have a great winter

May the Ford be with you

mexicoian
    Participant

UK - England

Any pics with the 18 ” fitted

mrbrett
    Participant

Netherlands

Will try to post tomorrow. I’m not sure i like how it looks but sure love how it drives ?

mrbrett
    Participant

Netherlands

mrbrett
    Participant

Netherlands

As promised

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Great pic thanks for sharing ?

Honorary Member

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

cool. I’m more interested to see if going down to 18s and up to 40 profile really does help with the veering steering.  Those are very similar looking to the factory forged rims, I think its possibly the gun metal finish you are not sure of , I know I don’t like that finish, maybe if they were satin black no one would ever know you have swapped them ! ( and you would be more happy with them)

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

mrbrett
    Participant

Netherlands

Im gonna be looking for an extra set of 18” wheels for the new set of summer tyres really love the way it handles on these winter tyres it feels like the twitchy veering steering is gone

grunty-motor
    Participant

UK - Scotland

interestingly, i just test drove a BMW X3M and it exhibited some of the veering characteristics of the Focus. Big 21″ wheels maybe had something to do with it.

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

@mrbrett: I wouldn’t call the feeling “planted” though. Rather agile and liquid and relaxed compared to the summer tyres. Fast corners are less precise in winter tyres and more micro corrections on the steering are needed.

I use BBS 18″ rims with Pirelli Sotto Zero 3 since a couple of winter seasons now. I guess, the different feeling comes from the slightly different cross section of the tyre. The summer Michelin Super Sport is rather square with a sharp edge compared to the more blended Pirelli besides the harder rubber mixture. The square one is more prone to tram lining around lane grooves, hence the “twitchy” behaviour.

Moreover, the 18″ rim has a slightly smaller moment of inertia that, together with the cooler intake air, makes for a more vivid accelleration adding to the fun.

Hope that helps. Drive safe 😎

Revo Stage 1 – JCR super low seating frame – Mishimoto gas pedal spacer – DSC sport controller

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Fitted 18” wheels what a difference!!. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!