HELP! Brake replacement

Home Forums Performance Brakes HELP! Brake replacement

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

DrSteve
    Participant

UK - England

So on Saturday I was planning to do a full brake service on my 2017 RS (29k miles). I had the EBC brake disc and yellow pads and expected the job to take a few hours, I had replaced the brake on my 10 year old ST a couple of years ago no problem, and expected the RS only being 3 years old everything would come apart easily.

The biggest issue was removing the large pin:

Brembo brakes

I easily undid the 13mm bolt, but that pin would not budge. Both sides of the car were the same. I ended up having to replace the pads as I refitted the caliper.

For future reference, any tips on removing that pin?

Cheers

2017 NB FPM375 with all options (except shell seats)

rs-le
    Participant

UK - England

@Drsteve

welcome

surely a 10 minute soak in WD40 then I few taps with a punch & hammer would have shifted the pin? ?

777ham
    Participant

UK - England

Personally I haven’t had an issue with that pin as its come out very easily. As @rs-le mentioned, a bit of WD40 could help?

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

Done mine came out fine, the two small pins needed a good clean up before going back in.  Watch what wheel cleaner your using as a few i have tried corrode the pins and bleed nipples!

If you have ever used a £5 car wash, the way they clean your wheels will rust the pins in one go. They love to use neat wheel acid! ☹️

stuartditchburn
    Participant

UK - Scotland

I had a similar problem, bit of WD40 then left for five minutes.  Top and bottom pins where still in, press down on spring retainer and out it came.

DrSteve
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks for the advice. Normally I’m a bit scared about spaying WD40 around brakes!! But as I was replacing pads and discs this did not worry me this time and I gave them a good soaking.

I tried putting the 13mm bolt back in partially, and with the socket on the bolt hit it with a hammer, it still would not budge. Due to the shape of the head there is no way to twist the pin to break it free.

The smaller pins came out fairly easily, and the discs required a good stern hammering to get them off. All in all very surprising for a 3-year old car.

2017 NB FPM375 with all options (except shell seats)

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

@DrSteve did you do rear also? 3 years old and bearing hub’s look like they have been used as a ships anchor ☹️

rs-le
    Participant

UK - England

@GM

blimey did you park the rear end in the sea. (Rust city) ?

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

That looks like a total strip down required and shot blast with a powder coating.

Coastliner

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

@rs-le nope just a ford used in the wet! ? Everything painted black under the car goes brown very quick!

@coastliner
    I’m in the process of ordering all new, stripping all and proper powder coating before fitting.

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

@GM

It just has to be done, my MK2 was similar to your photo, it was low mileage 8600 at 5 years old. The MOT tester on the last two tests(independent garage) took me to one side and said I know what you are doing with this car. He said you use is infrequently and when you do you wash it and put it away in the garage. He was spot on and the car remained wet for a number of days, this didn’t help the rust. maybe it doesn’t fit your user profile but worth considering. I now dry the car as much as possible and drive it around the block before putting away. The Mk3 has faired much better than my MK2.

Coastliner

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

@coastliner your spot on! my mates is worse 16 plate with 3000 ish on the clock… all underneath has been done even the rear hubs, but its just my OCD they have to be changed… ?

I do love a good blast out when its wet also… ?

peters
    Participant

UK - N.Ireland

@GM

Mine is the same if not worse , I have also started gathering bits to refurbish, on a car thats only got 15K after 4 years its a joke.

Its back !

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

@peters mines done 14k, but went into this eyes open ?…. being a ford i knew it would rust, fall apart and be a project! ? But a massive positive was over 30K cheaper than the car i was going for, which would of lost 30-40k in deprecation by now…. and way more fun to drive ?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to HELP! Brake replacement. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!