Looking for advice – newbie

Home Forums General Newbie Looking for advice – newbie

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

2 fat fooks in a row ! or make that 3 maybe, but I enjoy the roominess and aesthetically pleasing shell seats innit

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

Defo 3 but its my arms and shoulders honest! ?

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

GM, I think that was ‘johnnybigarms’ excuse too at one time, has he left us and moved on now , I canna remember?

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

NEILRS2K
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Hello guys,

Had a test drive in a nitrous blue FPM375 today with the chunky recaro’s not the shells. Low mileage 13000 and 1 previous owner.

Car drove very well, handling and gearbox very nice, plenty of torque through the rev range. Reminded me of my old 5 cylinder ST3 with respect to the gearbox and steering. No where near as crashy over the bumps as my old RS4 even in sport mode (KW coil overs fitted to the RS4) so that’s a bonus.

Was a bit underwhelmed by the exhaust note if I’m being honest. No pops and bangs even in sport. Maybe didn’t get the most out of it as the roads were fairly busy near the dealership so never got to exploit the cars full potential.

Seats were alright, I’m pretty slim so weren’t tight (used to drive my RS4 with bolsters adjusted to the tightest setting) Only issue with the seats was I couldn’t get my left arm comfortable when changing gear due to the chunky side bolster. Maybe i just needed to adjust seat more. Also wasn’t that keen on the blue stripe running round but that’s just personal preference.

Have had a passenger ride in one over a year ago with shells so need to get a test drive in one but I’m pretty certain that’s what I am wanting.

Continuing the constant monitoring of autotrader, eBay and pistonheads

Thanks, Neil

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Neil, back in 2016 while mine was still on order, i was not sure on the black alloys or the shell seats, I was back and fro to dealers looking at them all the time, then once the Mrs came and sat in a STd seated car she could not sit comfortably because the bolsters were rubbing the backs of her arms and forcing her to sit with her arms crossed in front of her, she said “I hope you are not having those seats” so I kept the shells on the order form  along with the forged alloys. If you are slim and find the STd puffy bolstered seats not tight, I think you may find the shells too loose and baggy and not supportive enough ! I was getting annoyed with changing gear, then I found that the glove box lid slid backwards and out of the way ! I also took 4 months to realise the steering wheel adjusted for rake, I could not get fully comfy as when the seat was a bit reclined how i like it, I could not really reach the top of steering wheel properly, a bit too straight-armed while turning. Then I found out the wheel adjusts for rake. happy days.

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

NEILRS2K
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Yeah you could be right, need to get into one for a test drive. There is one 12 miles away, frozen white, 10k miles with shells. Think it’s a sync 2 one though – £25.5k. Might give them a call and arrange a drive in that. At least then the test drive will still be fresh in my mind from today.

Shame the bolsters aren’t adjustable in the shells. You could be right, maybe just the way the seats and wheel were set up that didn’t agree with my driving position. You know what it’s like though when testing a car. You kind of just jump in and go. The dealer drove it to a petrol station as it had nothing in the tank then swapped with me there so didn’t have time to mess about with seats etc.

paulie
    Participant

UK - Wales

It took me a while to get the seat adjusted properly in my standard seats to the way i wanted, even to the point of questioning myself if i’d done the right thing.  Got there in the end though as on the test drive they were perfect so knew it was just a matter of fine tuning

NEILRS2K
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Hello again guys,

Still been looking through the classifieds. Has anyone used RS Direct in Bristol before? They seem to be pretty big players in second hand RS. I have noticed that you pay a bit of a premium when buying from them. Is it worth the extra money over some smaller dealers?

Cheers, Neil

stu-c
    Participant

UK - England

Hi Neil, there was a post on here recently about how a potential newbie wasn’t treated too well at RS direct. I couldn’t say one way or another but they do have a good selection.

Regarding the lack of pops and bangs of the exhaust that you mentioned in an earlier post, you won’t get those until the engine/oil/exhaust is warm, whether it’s in sport or not – at least I don’t. Of course I’m not giving it much gas when its cold anyway.

NB FPM375

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Agree with @stu-c, pops and bang work best once the engine has got warm.

Honorary Member

NEILRS2K
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Makes sense, I wouldn’t be kicking it on until everything was up to temp.

It was only a 15-20 minute test drive and was hampered by the traffic. Been in touch with a few other dealers recently so fingers crossed I can get sorted before I go back to work. There was one I was very interested in, 11k miles nitrous blue, Lux pack, shells, sync 3 and looks immaculate however it’s had 3 owners which has put me off somewhat. Maybe just being a bit too fussy.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Looking for advice – newbie. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!