Mitsubishi Could Return to Performance Cars with Reborn Lancer Evolution

Home Forums General Non RS Chat Mitsubishi Could Return to Performance Cars with Reborn Lancer Evolution

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

Mitsubishi could return to performance cars with reborn Lancer Evolution

11th iteration of Mitsubishi’s rally stage star would pack 341bhp 2.0-litre turbo from next-gen Renault Megane RS

June 26, 2019

Mitsubishi is plotting a resurrection of the iconic Lancer Evolution as part of a return to its performance car roots.

It is planned to continue a rich history of Lancer Evolution models kicked off with the launch of the first-generation model in 1992, by offering supercar-beating acceleration together with the choice of either traditional four-door saloon or five-door hatchback bodystyles, according to Japanese-based sources.

Details remain scarce, but suggestions are the followup to the Lancer Evolution X produced between 2007 and 2016 would share key elements of its drivetrain with the next-generation Renault Mégane RS, with a turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine mated to a dual-clutch gearbox and an advanced Mitsubishi-developed S-AWC four-wheel drive system.

In its most potent forms, the existing front-wheel-drive Renault Mégane RS’s MR designated engine delivers 296bhp and 295lb ft of torque. However, the possible addition of electronic boosting in a 48V mild-hybrid system being developed for the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi alliance is likely to increase its reserves closer to the 341bhp and 319lb ft of the turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder powerplant used by the limited-edition Subaru Impreza WRX STi S209.

The 11th generation of the four-wheel-drive Lancer Evolution has been conceived to sit on the CMF-C/D F4 platform developed within Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi.

The current non-performance Lancer was discontinued as an international model in 2017, but the name lives on with a saloon model sold in Chinese-speaking markets due to its popularity.

The Evolution’s revival, part of Mitsubishi chairman Osamu Masuko’s plan to restore the Japanese maker to its previous position of strength within the performance car ranks, would depend on the Lancer returning in a new generation.

Masuko, 70, is set to surrender his position as CEO to Takao Kato. However, the Mitsubishi veteran will continue to lead the company in the position of chairman.

Previous plans by Masuko to develop a successor to the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X were placed on hold following heavy losses at the company and its subsequent purchase by Nissan in 2016.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n…ncer-evolution

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

v8griff
    Participant

UK - England

Not a fan of Jap cars personally.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

WANT ! ( as long as its below 1500 kilos and has better than 250bhp/tonne)

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

DaveRS3
    Participant

United Kingdom

Yes indeed. Like the squared off look of it.

This could be the Mk4 RS beater if it is lighter (it will need to be at least 200kgs lighter with only 340 bhp) and it costs the same or less.

rsdom
    Participant

UK - Wales

Where do I sign?

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

Me, I’m staying Blue Oval RS always have, always will

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

rsdom
    Participant

UK - Wales

Had my fair share of evo’s and scoobys so still hold a torch for them I guess, still love my RS though 100%

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Not for me ?

Honorary Member

walker-steve77
    Participant

UK - England

Windscreen backwards looks like a modern interpretation of a Lancia Delta Intergrale but in saloon form ??

Nitrous Blue, Lux Pack, Blue Brembo Brake Calipers, SYNC 3, Black Forged Alloys & Door Edge Protectors

Stage 1 + many extras

nicklulu
    Participant

USA

Still keeping my RS.

Having an Evo IX and X in the past, I am looking forward to see one.

mexicoian
    Participant

UK - England

Staying with the RS ????

yorkirs
    Participant

UK - England

This looks good, love a new high performance  Scooby or Evo to arrive in the Uk, would keep European manufacturers on their toes.

May the Ford be with you

indyrs
    Participant

United Kingdom

As long as they Ralliart FQ it, has the ‘standard’ power stats (>400/400) to beat off or fight the current German contenders, has the tuning potential/strong engine of the legendary Evolution’s of old and looks aggressively cool = I’d think I would like to take one (obviously other factors too :))!

I really hope Mitsubishi bring the Lancer Evolution product back!!!

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

@Indyrs

Engine; It’s a Peugeot not a Mitsi of old. In its most potent forms, the existing front-wheel-drive Renault Mégane RS’s MR designated engine delivers 296bhp and 295lb ft of torque.

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

craigyp
    Participant

UK - England

Cant beat the flat four sound of a scooby imo.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Mitsubishi Could Return to Performance Cars with Reborn Lancer Evolution. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!