Mountune Sport Spring Kit

Home Forums Performance Handling Mountune Sport Spring Kit

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Kenny
    Keymaster

UK - Scotland

Mountune have just released a handling upgrade for the MK3 Focus RS with a lowering spring kit.

The ultimate spring upgrade for Mk3 Focus RS owners wanting to improve handling and aesthetics, without compromising on ride quality.

Tested and validated in both the UK and USA across thousands of miles of mixed driving styles and conditions, mountune’s sport spring kit delivers a noticeable drop in ride-height (10mm front | 15mm rear) for improved aesthetics, whilst the progressive, uprated spring rate ensure compliance for every day use and enhanced cornering performance, too.

Features:
    • Uprated spring poundage
    • Front ride height reduction 10mm
    • Rear ride height reduction 15mm
    • Fully compatible with OE adjustable damper
    • Finished in mountune yellow

Mountune Spring Kit Mk3 Focus RS

Mountune Lowering Spring Kit Mk3 Focus RS

Price: £199 inc. VAT

jasoni
    Participant

UK - England

I like it, keeps the pointy nose stance

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

so, the spring rate is harder, and the ride is not compromised? hows that work then?the only way the ‘progressive’ bit can work and still maintain comfort would cause the car to roll more and only really control roll once the springs are fairly compressed at a fair old cornering speed/roll rate. Cant see it myself. springs etc are all a compromise, .. softer springs… more roll,, worse handling on track/possibly better handling on bumpy road.. comfier ride    Harder springs… worse ride.. possibly worse handling apart from on track, less roll. I keep mine std as FORD engineers who have access to all manner of tech designed and developed probably the best ‘allround’ spring for the RS. if it aint broke, dont fix it innit!

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Standard springs for me, I worry about to many speed bumps around city driving and the clearance needed

Honorary Member

rampant
    Participant

UK - England

@71-bda
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>Progressive springs allow a small amount of initial spring compression with less overall stiffness than the main or “overriding” spring rate.</p>
    This gives them much better compliance than constant rate springs, even if the overall spring rate is stiffer.

Once the spring has compressed a small amount it ramps up to a stiffer spring rate and if they are well designed the rate ramps up steadily in order that body roll and dive/squat are better controlled than fixed rate springs but with superior initial compliance on undulating surfaces. The damper rates also need to be considered into the overall system of course…

Plus, have you ever tried your suspension in “Sport” setting? Basically, Ford have done a bad job, so I wouldn’t agree with your last paragraph.

The suspension has lots of room for improvement. Personally I would even consider a coilover system that had only a manual damper rate adjustment that couldn’t be switched from inside the car. (That’s effectively what we have anyway, because the Sport setting is very poorly judged and “suboptimal” in any known situation, even smooth racetracks. Feel free to use it, but just because it’s a standard feature, this doesn’t mean it’s any good.)

Yours Aye

Mark H

// ’17 Nitrous Blue // Forged Alloys // Michelin Super Sports // Painted Calipers // Sync 3 // Lux Pack // Winter Pack // Black Gel Spoiler Badges // Blue Gel Wheel Inserts // GTechniq Liquid Crystal // GTechniq Alloy Armour // sold Jun ’18

Kenny
    Keymaster

UK - Scotland

Competition coming soon guys to win a set of these  🙂

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

@Mark Hollywood

i think what you have wrote is bang on the nail with the springs and your explanation.

But ……… and their always is – Coilovers what’s the point of these?

• If your going to adjust the cars ride height regularly then their a good thing.
    • If you have massively wide wheels that rub your standard spring, then a smaller diameter spring would help.
    • A larger diameter spring performs better under compression and rebound

Their is actually no benefit of going the coil over route at all, unless you consider your wallets empty so your cars lighter so you’ll go faster 🙂

i understand you can use two springs on the same coilover to create a progressive spring, but if your not doing any of the above two points stay with the standard diameter springs and change those out to one of the many spring manufacturers.

Usual train of thought – Coil overs are on race cars so they must be better, no race cars need the extra space for big fat wheels and tyres 🙂

Cheers

Adey 🙂

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

@ Mark Hollywood, thanks, I do actually understand suspension, my question was asked sarcastically! I would rather keep the std springs, if you have ‘softer’ initial rate then all you will do is reduce the the cars initial steering response, the car will need to roll more and take a ‘set’ before it responds , at slowish speed bends, the Mountune sprung car is going to have more body roll than the std one, thats not for me. Also with a few passengers and a full tank of squirt on board, the Mountune sprung car will ride harder than a std sprung car! not for me either! I bet the next thing they bring out will be uprated anti roll bars( swaybars) to counteract the bodyroll…. oh, and of course, lowering a car will also lower its roll centre which also increases the amount of body roll even though the c of g is lowered by a few mm ! so much simpler to leave things alone or you end up chasing your tail and never satisfied and then as lots of folk do.. go back to std !

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

rampant
    Participant

UK - England

Re coilovers.

Usually designed as a system with complimentary spring and damper rates.

Adjustable damping for fine tuning overall ride quality (or firmness, if so desired).

Adjustable damping can be used to fine tune front-rear grip by softening or firming up front or rear.

Adjustable ride height is one of the best reasons to adopt height adjustable coilovers. Not because you can vary them on a week to week basis, rather that you can get *exactly* the desired height on both axles and leave it there. As you can see with the Mountune springs, the drop is asymmetric. With coilovers you can tune the height and rake as desired. Rake is normally a good thing, but does depend on the individual car/chassis design. (Dropping ride height greater at the rear is “normally” done to tame the rear end and make the car more “numb” for average drivers.)

I haven’t got direct experience of the FRS3 yet, but I do think that these Mountune springs – lowers rear more than front – might work *against* the agility of the rear axle torque vectoring. That said, I firmly believe that progressive springs, designed properly, provide all benefit and no drawbacks.

Done properly, the compliance at the beginning of compression does not translate to extra body roll under cornering at *any* speed, fast or slow, because the progressive transition from compliance to greater firmness than standard should occur at the right place.

If your pootling along, the tendency to roll before direction change takes place is minimal. If you’re attacking a racetrack, the little amount of roll that takes up the slack before direction change is small and can effectively control the rate at which the tyre loads are more smoothly transferred.

Designed properly, they are a win-win.

Coilovers can be fitted with “tender springs” to produce a progressive spring rate. They are normally expensive and therefore only seen on high end road car aftermarket products. You’ll normally always see them on high end competition vehicles.

Yours Aye

Mark H

// ’17 Nitrous Blue // Forged Alloys // Michelin Super Sports // Painted Calipers // Sync 3 // Lux Pack // Winter Pack // Black Gel Spoiler Badges // Blue Gel Wheel Inserts // GTechniq Liquid Crystal // GTechniq Alloy Armour // sold Jun ’18

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

The other thing about progressive springs is you can’t vary your damper’s valving to match the springs through the entire length of the stroke. If you want progressive action, you want to devise a rising-rate linkage that acts on a coil-over shock with linear-rate spring, like on motorcycles (on cars you can do it with push/pull rods). This way, as the ratio of shock-compression to suspension-movement increases, the damping will increase along with the spring-rate to match, in other words it could be under damped when under load and over damped when you are just tootling along in a straight line, a linear spring when cornering hard is more predictable than a progressive one ! pretty sure ford know about progressive springs, I just bet if they had fitted them as std, folk would be saying ” ride is a bit soft/bouncy, the turn-in is a bit wooly, the car is too wallowy on the track, why didn’t FORD fit linear springs!!” you cant please all the people all the time.

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

RSOldie
    Participant

UK - England

I noticed those on the Mountune website Kenny. Think I’ll wait until they come up with a coilover upgrade.

Davee
    Participant

UK - England

Can anybody tell me who manufactures this spring kit for Mountune?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Mountune Sport Spring Kit. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!