MSD360, 380 and beyond

Home Forums Performance Electronics/ECU MSD360, 380 and beyond

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

chris250
    Participant

United Kingdom

Looking through the forum I’ve seen lots of different tuning options for the RS but no-one has mentions Motorsport Developments (MSD) in Blackpool, a long time Ford tuner.

http://www.motorsport-developments.co.uk/Focus_RS_MK3_Tuning.html

MSD offer 3 stages of tune to the public with more in development, the MSD 360, 380 and 400.

Below I have posted a screen shot of a couple runs taken of a customers car running the MSD380 software, hardware included K&N filter, KMS turbo-back, de-catted exhaust, Mountune charge pipes and Mountune FMIC.

Ignoring the initial torque spike we have peak figures of 361 BHP and 411 lbft (557Nm) of torque at the hubs*, approximately 397 bhp and 452 lbft (612Nm) flywheel figures.

*hub bhp does not equal wheel bhp, I’ve been doing back to back testing from this Dynapack to a Dastek rolling road and have seen repeatedly that the Dynapack reads 5% higher WHP due to no losses from the tyres and wheels.  With that in mind WHP will be approx 342WHP and 390WLBFT.

We’re currently in discussions to get a stock car, revo tuned and this back all on the same day to run back to back, I’ll post up a new thread once we’re done.

comedysi
    Participant

UK - England

very strongly considered MSD< but we’re based a long way from them. unfortunately, the cost of their ‘diy’ handheld option was too expensive compared to the competition. happy that MSD offer a good map, but if not done with them, the diy option does prove expensive.

all the same, i was impressed when researching them and checking the results on their website and on youtube

Si

chris250
    Participant

United Kingdom

The MSD 360 and 380 are available through their dealer network, currently they only offer their 400 software in-house, the owner of this one has said that the remap has brought the car alive, then they fitted the mods and got it tested as at the time we done the remap it wasn’t confirmed we could run in 2WD safely so all datalogging was performed on private roads 😉

Kenny
    Keymaster

UK - Scotland

Hi Chris welcome to the forum. Your maps certainly look good.So all your packages can be map only or require additional bolt ons? Can the maps be removed by the owner or do they need to visit their local dealer?

If you need a hand sourcing a stock and Revo car let me know 🙂

chris250
    Participant

United Kingdom

The maps are designed to be used on stock cars but they can have the eml removed for decat.  The owner of this one just wanted everything fitted so he doesn’t need to lift a spanner again except from servicing. There has been tweaks done to this map down at MSD but we’re testing a few things out just now.

There are options for owner control modules but most people are happy enough to just visit their local agent and save on the cost of it.

Thanks for the offer, I’ll speak with the guys and see who’ll confirm

petert
    Participant

UK - England

not sure how you’re calculating your flywheel torque from the hub figures, you can’t just add a flat 15/20% to the entire graph for example…

You will find the torque figure at the hubs on a Hub DynaPack is very similar to the calculation done on a normal flyhweel dyno

petert
    Participant

UK - England

The only Revo released software so far is the STG1, which is designed for a stock vehicle, which is 340 at the hubs on a DynaPack.

STG2 isn’t released yet.

chris250
    Participant

United Kingdom

Hi Peter,

From my own testing of multiple cars and multiple dynos which either run WHP or FWHP I’ve seen usually the hub figures are usually 5% higher than WHP and 10% lower than FWHP.  The dyno I’ve been comparing with lately is a local Ford tuning garage, our last comparisons were on a tuned Volvo C30 2.5 turbo and these figures rang true again.  If anyone asks me what the figures are I’ll give out hub figures but also explain the possible correction (fudge) factor.

You’ve said yourself that on a MAHA dyno your test vehicle torque shot up over 100Nm , how many repeated runs did you do?

I understand that only STG1 software is released from Revo at present, the reason behind saying we were going to test a stock, revo tuned and MSD tuned cars was because at a previous dyno day these 3 cars were ran one after the other on a dyno dynamics rolling road and it would be good to get another comparison, not to make any big and shouty claims as I’m not a software developer for these cars.

petert
    Participant

UK - England

The very high torque figure was on a Dyno Developments (not to be confused with Dyno Dynamics)

this was then rectified, as the load on the dyno was way too high, causing a ridiculously high torque calculation by the dyno. (vehicle still made the same boost pressures as we expected)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to MSD360, 380 and beyond. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!