New Owner Advice

Home Forums General Newbie New Owner Advice

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Tobamory
    Participant

UK - England

Morning all, just paid the deposit for a Blue edition and i wanted to ask a few questions if i may.

Firstly Hi to you all, this will be my first ford after the following array of cars

Subaru STI 320 BHP

A45 420 BHP

JCW Mini 231 BHP

BMW 440i 365 BHP

Now although the BMW is fast its boring and i dont like RWD, unless its dry the backends all over fun at times but i never feel planted.

So as i go through finance with Ford i wanted to ask 2 questions

Is the Montune 375 worth the extra, i think im going to get it but wanted to ask first

Secondly does the RS run on Evil 95 Ron as well as Super, having the scooby and A45 both demanded super, however whats the recommended for the focus is it super or have ford made it so 95 can be used equally.

thanks guys

Ted

v8griff
    Participant

UK - England

Welcome Rob.

All the comments I’ve read about the FPM 375 upgrade are positive, really brings the car alive. Plus it’s warranty friendly.

Ref the fuel grade, I’ve used both, super and normal unleaded and can’t tell the difference. I believe various ECU maps run better on the higher grade RON, but for standard cars it doesn’t make much difference. Although I’ve convinced myself that there are more pops and bangs to be had with Tesco Momentum…

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Rob good choice , its an awesome car. Yes 95 ron is fine. Why not get the car std, run it in, then see how you like the std 345 bhp, and then if you want more, go for the 375?  If you go straight to the 375 you will never know if it was worth it as you didn’t experience the 345 beforehand.

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

red-leader
    Participant

UK - England

A warm welcome to the forum Rob. RS runs ok on both types of fuel, I can’t tell any difference. Please keep us in touch with the progress of your order.

Tobamory
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks Guys, i know what your saying regarding the Upgrade, when i did my A45 i was slightly impressed, however after running it for 6 months then taking it off for service the car felt flat as a fart LOL when i re-added it after service it was Angry 🙂

I,ll keep you posted on it, Finance are still dancing round there handbags, as im told 30k+ cars cause them to scrutinize it more in some respects, but i suppose it didn’t help with me buying a wife the JCW clubman same day LOL

thanks and fingers crossed

Apominoz
    Participant

Australia

Hi all

put in a order last week for a rs limited edition  pick up on Saturday. Is there a time frame to run the rs in.

r5-yyh
    Participant

UK - England

Hello & welcome 🙂

After owning my RS for 3 months now it only took me a few weeks to start toying with it, having the mountune 375 upgrade for 6 weeks on the car it is night and day worth every penny, the induction whooshes you get alone is worth it, pulls harder and pops alot more… do it!

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

Welcome,  my thoughts and experiences.

Test drive it before accepting the car, on bump and poor surfaces as well as smooth.  See if it pulls you around the road on WOT in 3rd.

Check recall has been completed if required.

Add a 375 after a few weeks/months when your happy with the car…  it very much worth while,  a must just on better drive-ability.

Add DSC Suspension module to sort the PoGo effect and nervous ride out.   (Disclaimer, I sell them, read the feedback first)

Add Mountune springs to further improve the ride and handling.  (The two together is quite a something)

Mountune Short shift kit feels very right once you’ve done it. …   A “never knew I needed it mod”

95 ron but not from supermarket, branded fuel I was advised after my head was off for the recall.  ( it was less clean with more build up and detonation marks/pitting in the build up compared to other engines seen).  I’d put a V-power etc tank in on a regular basis.

Learn to steer it with the throttle 😀 ……

Awesome car

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

v8griff
    Participant

UK - England

@Paul Baker, there isn’t any official run in requirements although I myself took it easy for the first 2K miles (just to be sure).

rs-jon
    Participant

UK - England

I’ve just had Mountune FPM375 and Ssc fitted today – a year after I bought the car, the difference coming back home made me realise it was definately money well spent – more fluid power delivery through the mid range, more pops and bangs all round and it now feels like it should have done from factory – it pulls like a train!

As for fuel – I’ve used Shell/BP 95 with no noticeable difference but if I’m near a Tesco then I’ll use their Momentum 99 as its the same price as the branded 95 in these parts.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

@ 9, that is rather blatant !!  I’d ask if the DSC controller is still upsetting the cars fuel gauge, because that would pi$$ me right off after doing over a grand to break down at the roadside out of petrol because my flash new suspension controller made the fuel gauge over-read!! I believe two programming attempts have cured that issue now? I was half thinking having a go and fitting one, but think it needs the adaptive dampers to work properly, I read a good review..”

V1 review

This is my initial impression of the v1 with stock suspension, wet roads, and winter tires. I drove selected roads before install; then installed the controller and drove the same roads plus freeway, and moderately fast corners. Finally, I went back to the stock controller and again ran the roads – focusing on fast corners.

Pros:

– Small bumps improved
    – Medium slow bumps improved
    – 3 distinct damping modes

Cons:

– Push. Unacceptable understeer. Lack of rotation.
    – High speed cornering nervousness.
    – Bigger low frequency damping response – pogo replaced with a single large ’jounce’.
    – Inaccurate gas mileage counter

High frequency damping is improved, however low frequency damping is compromised. Bumps good, handling degraded.

I like that the controller takes information from sources beyond the stock controller AND does something with it. I also am aware that it is programable, but feel that the stock dampers may limit improvement.

I’ll stay with the stock controller until tractive dampers are available. I expect these will yield a improvement primarily for performance and comfort.

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

Ian Barker
    Participant

United Kingdom

Shell V power for me.

Just had the M375 fitted to mine differently brings the car alive only driven it for about 40 miles so far money well spent ??

Fully forged running M400x

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

@71,   may I ask where the review was from and by who?

I would question the validity of a review and road test on winter tyres though !

Fuel range to empty was a little out and has been revised with firmware updates, welcome to the 21st century !   I did a check, I think it was about 10 miles.  Users are able to flash new firmware, it’s pretty easy.  Plus they can flash alternative maps and profiles. Either write one yourself or download someone else’s or ask DSC for a few changes, as I did to suit the Mountune springs.

The cons just don’t ring true, I’ve just done 2 trials this week, (2 cars,  one standard springs other MT, 3 drivers).  with a loan unit, all comments agreed and were all very positive, as has been the other feedback I’ve had.  They had no commitment to buy, both have said they will buy asap.

One common feedback is composure and security of the ride and handling, so the nervousness comment makes no sense, understeer?  I’d put both down to tyres.   My Zed 4 on winters gets very twitchy and nervous on the front at higher speeds.   “Pogo replaced with single bounce”, isn’t that what it’s meant to do?   sounds an improvement to me.

Believe what you like, your welcome to come to the midlands for a try out.  Having been back on the standard module this week (MT springs) can’t wait to get my module back and plugged in. Car feels wobbly, bouncy, nose dives on braking, rolls and lurches and gets pitched about on uneven surfaces. Lost it’s poise, composure and confidence.

Everyone agrees the limiting factor are the stock dampers, so for sure the Tractive dampers will be a real step forward, but at quite a cost, but if someone wants the best it’s there to be had.   BTW, first set have been spoken for, deposit paid.  Once they have landed I’ll confirm the regular cost to anyone else interested.

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to New Owner Advice. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!