Newbie just bought mk3 rs

Home Forums General Newbie Newbie just bought mk3 rs

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Neil Carter
    Participant

UK - England

So the midlife crisis has begun and feeling all nostalgic about the RSs of the 80s and 90s I’ve bought a 2016 Focus RS.  So as I drove back to north east in her its obvious as a new owner to give it a little sport when i could. Didnt mess with launch control at all just a bit of a lead foot to raise a happy feeling inside. So as I getting up to 80ish it started raining and I assumed the car was spinning in 4th gear as was feeling a judder.  Surprised an ad car would lose traction I backed right off. The judder was becoming unbearable. I pulled over then adjusted it from sport set up to comfort. I then realised in sport you feel every bump in road. Actually uncomfortable it give so much feedback through suspension.  By this time the roads are dry and very quiet so felt I’d play with my new toy once more. So under some heavy acceleration (which car is designed to do) I realised that I definitely hadnt been spinning and losing traction  but in fact the clutch is slipping. Not consistently and not a particular gear. Sometimes slip in 3rd then won’t in 3rd under same conditions. Could anyone who knows these cars tell my if clutch failure is common?

Thanks in advance

1234enough
    Participant

UK - England

Neil, clutch on any car is common to fail, it’s a wearable item, no different to any other wearable part(tyres / brakes ect), how early it fails is down to use, a bit more info would be nice to determine things – miles / upgrades ect.

Oh and we love pictures on here

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

Hi Neil, mine has still the first stock clutch after 150000 km and I had my daughter having driving school in it. So it’s a question of abuse really.

With clutch slip you should actually see rpm rising quickly without power delivery. Judder may also come from the map. My Revo stage 1 has two distinct steps when booting it depending on the start rpm. Sometimes, depending on road surface, this feels like judder.

Revo Stage 1 – JCR super low seating frame – Mishimoto gas pedal spacer – DSC sport controller

rainydays
    Participant

Luxembourg

I would be surprised if this is the clutch.

I recall once, in a galaxy far far away, I was rocking my old Focus Diesel.
    I accelerated at a traffic light and the whole front was was shaking left to right sending this ‘judder’ through the suspension. ESP was trying to keep the wheels from spinning but the net effect was not very pleasant. Once I disabled ESP, the same traffic light, the car no longer did this.

Hold down the ESP button until you have a confirmation that it is off. Then try again see if the car exhibits a similar behavior.

Nitrous Blue Dyno Tuned @ 600 NM | Wagner Tuning – Competition IC | REVO Carbon CAI 

HJS 200 Cell Sportkat Remus Cat-back | SS Black Chrome Tailpipes

Fischer-Hydraulik SS Brake Lines | Endless RF 650 Brake Fluid | Endless ME20 Pads F+R (squeak king)

Rotors: TSP XG150 – DBA 5000 T3 SLOT | DBA 4000 T3 SLOT | Suspension: MR – KW Clubsport 2 way with H&R ARB F+R

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Close your ears, it maybe a sign it’s had a hard life.

Coastliner

1234enough
    Participant

UK - England

🤔 🙉

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Ask the dealer to tell you how many launches it’s done

PS hi and welcome 👍

Honorary Member

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by bobcat.

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

When removing mine 17K from new never launched, looked like the friction plate and flywheel had had a hard time. This was just dealing with stage 2 for a few years. When i get chance I’ll upload some pics. (Or it could of been from the Mrs driving it 😂)

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@GM, 😹😹😹 now that’s not nice 🤔 hope the good lady doesn’t read on here 😂😂😂

Honorary Member

Pauly Paul
    Participant

The what launch button , where’s that then . 🤣🤣🤣🤣

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Honorary Member

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

@bobcat she destroys cars.. 307, X3, Audi 2.0D and blew our x5 up 😂 all in the bin (or part x’d)… She does look after the kuga tho and its the longest anything has lasted. Her review of the modifications to the RS tho….. “you’ve ruined it” full set of power flex bushes / mounts, more or less every brace and bracket possible, single mass flywheel, twin plate clutch with a load more power is not for the faint hearted…😂😂

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@GM, best not let her anywhere near the keys to the RS then 😹😹😹  Hope the little co-pilot gets good driving instruction 😂🤣😂🤣

Honorary Member

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Newbie just bought mk3 rs. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!