Newbie looking for advice!! ?

Home Forums General Newbie Newbie looking for advice!! ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Soapy87
    Participant

UK - England

Hi guys and girls. Purchased today a 16 plate RS and need some help and advice. Need the OBD port sorting and wondered what are my best options for this?? Either moving or a lock of some sort?? Many thanks

Kenny
    Keymaster

UK - Scotland

Ghost would be a better option as moving the OBD doesn’t make the car secure:

Ghost Security System & Tracker Group Buy – VeilTuning

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

@soapy87  some folk were fitting a 55mm padlock snugly over the obd port.  I got a superb little OBD port lock from Germany, renders the port totally unaccessable.

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

As Kenny as said Ghost system is the best way to go IMO

Honorary Member

Hammy
    Participant

UK - Scotland

If you like punching a code in every time you start your car not to mention pushing the same code in will wear the buttons out.

I under stand the purpose of it but are people really that blind to miss the point it’s made on a PC so it can be hacked not saying it has yet but can be.

Have had so much aftermarket alarms trackers fitted over the years. And all have caused problems with the car later on. No matter if it has been fitted by a company our not.

• Magnetic, Forge wheels, Edge Protectors , Lux Pack & Recaro Shell Seats
    • Dreamscience Imap Ultimate 3+
    • Dmb Gel Badges Nitrous Blue
    • Rallyflapz Kaylan Black 
    • Team Heko Wind defectors Dark 
    • Dreamscience turbo back exhaust with race car.
    • Airtec SSC Black
    • Airtec Stage 2 Air Intake Black & Nitrous Blue 
    • Airtec Rear Diffuser Black 
    • ST suspension 12.5mm spacers
    • Forge recirculating valve
    • yellow fog lights 
    • Airtec Nitrous Blue rear diff cooler 
    • 10% tint on rear lights 
    • Satin black window louver vents
    • Airtec short shifter set @ 40%
    • Valve delete mod
    • Bonnet struts 
    • Solid shifter bushes 
    • 1 step colder spark plugs NGK 
    • Engine dress up screw kit
    • body colour coded washer jets 
    • Airtec intercooler
    • Airtec boost pipes
    • Clubsport 4 point roll cage in nitrous blue
    • 3 point securon harness x2 
    • Driver side JCR lowered seat rail 

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

I like putting in codes……………..”.

Honorary Member

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

I must admit, I’m with the hamster on this one, my wiring is going to remain  as it left the factory, I used to have to deal with so many used cars that had after market alarms and immobilisers fitted and they all caused issues at some point i decided not to fit another alarm. plus having to keep inputting a certain code every time on start up would drive me nuts, i like the old system of putting a key in and turning it, I can just about accept having to keep pushing the clutch down then press a button to start it!! just waiting to see if all these Ghosts “give up the ghost” in a few years down the line… and the main fitter has retired to Florida or somewhere nice !! 😎

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

rsdom
    Participant

UK - Wales

I’d rather input a code and know that my car is going nowhere along with a tracker, piece of mind for me

Prevention is better than cure?

As always everyone’s personal preference.

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

Or use the App on the phone…..   I’ll just leave that one there !!  😉

When you’ve had your house broken into you will see it in a different light.

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

if they break into your house while you are home and you are physically threatened by 3 blokes with bats, I think you will give them the keyfob and passcode for the ghost instead of getting them any more angry and possibly hurting your family? if they break in while the house is empty then your key(s) should be secreted somewhere ‘unfindable’ i know mine are!! try stealing a RS with a micro switch hidden in the car somewhere that simply isolates the fuel pump !! it starts for 2 seconds then dies.. that will stump them !

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

Dr. RS
    Participant

UK - England

Get a Ghost ? fitted on the group buy link above Soapy. Ghost problems have been down to user error or poor installations. The company this forum links to has no such issues. Over 500 successful trouble-free installations in the past 12 months to a vast range of vehicles.

Fit the best solution to today’s threats and don’t waste time or energy worrying about future unknowns or speculation. The parent company who manufacture the product is big, established and expanding so you will receive support in the future.

Choose whatever product you like, it’s a free country. If you do your research and talk to owners who actually have fitted the Ghost, code input is a non issue, use an iPhone app if you prefer.

Disklok a good visual deterrent.

Enjoy your RS.

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

I would give them the keys for sure….unlikely they could get in now anyway,   They wouldn’t know anything about Ghost.,  while they are scratching their heads as to why the dam thing just flashes lights at them and won’t start, we have called 999 and locked ourselves away.

So you wouldn’t tell them where the micro switch is then? ….

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Hammy
    Participant

UK - Scotland

With Mike on this one waste of money if there going to steal your car they will find away. No bloody ghost system is going to stop them and for the tracker I personally would not want the car back if it had been stolen.

• Magnetic, Forge wheels, Edge Protectors , Lux Pack & Recaro Shell Seats
    • Dreamscience Imap Ultimate 3+
    • Dmb Gel Badges Nitrous Blue
    • Rallyflapz Kaylan Black 
    • Team Heko Wind defectors Dark 
    • Dreamscience turbo back exhaust with race car.
    • Airtec SSC Black
    • Airtec Stage 2 Air Intake Black & Nitrous Blue 
    • Airtec Rear Diffuser Black 
    • ST suspension 12.5mm spacers
    • Forge recirculating valve
    • yellow fog lights 
    • Airtec Nitrous Blue rear diff cooler 
    • 10% tint on rear lights 
    • Satin black window louver vents
    • Airtec short shifter set @ 40%
    • Valve delete mod
    • Bonnet struts 
    • Solid shifter bushes 
    • 1 step colder spark plugs NGK 
    • Engine dress up screw kit
    • body colour coded washer jets 
    • Airtec intercooler
    • Airtec boost pipes
    • Clubsport 4 point roll cage in nitrous blue
    • 3 point securon harness x2 
    • Driver side JCR lowered seat rail 

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

Only with a crane and flatbed Hammy 😉

Dr. RS
    Participant

UK - England

Absolutely with Mike too Hammy when it comes to not being a hero when it comes to the exceptionally rare scenario of being threatened with personal violence, no car is worth that, mine is replaceable with insurance/GAP insurance and the safety of my family is far more important. I would happily give them the keys and even drive the car out of the garage for them. I would need to if they are fat as my garage is narrow. Having been invited to 9 Designs house after a burglar searched for the car keys, he has his home security properly sorted. So have I and I have a similar arrangement with a safe room so like him, I’m not anticipating any conversations with car key burglars, I’ll just dial 999. Ghost and Tracker is the best solution to prevent the theft and to detect the offenders if the theft is successful. Together they are protecting the car wherever it’s parked and it’s reassuring to check the tracker app and see the car is safe. I don’t worry about my car at all now, I make sensible choices about where I leave it. I use it daily but it’s always garaged, never left on the driveway on show unnecessarily. When the house is empty, the car keys are elsewhere.

If you understood how the Ghost worked, in the right circumstances it would still be protecting the car when they drove away and they wouldn’t get far. I would know where the car was due to the tracker and the police would be informed. With a bit of luck they could make arrests. A serious crime team that organised tend not to rag the car as they don’t want to attract attention. They usually park the car up for a couple of days undamaged waiting to see if police or anyone else come to recover it, assuming if they’d don’t, the car isn’t fitted with a tracker. If nobody recovers the car they return to use it in crime or strip it or pass it on. I would be happy to have my car back if it was recovered undamaged thanks to my tracker. If your car was recovered undamaged I don’t think your insurance company would give you the option of not having it back. I understand what you’re saying if the car has been trashed or damaged, but unless it’s written off, you’re getting it back. If it’s not cat c or d, with no stolen marker, your car’s value isn’t affected when you come to sell it.

The ghost offers the most cost effective and comprehensive protection currently on the market, so the last thing it is is a waste of money. The ghost would stop all but the most serious of car thieves. If a really serious gang brought their hiab with them, the tracker company would alert you once the car is lifted, then alert the police.

The last thing I am trying to do is change your or Mike’s opinions, I’m sure you are both way past that, but this is Soapy’s thread and I’m writing this for him and other new owners based on the evidence of hundreds of owners thoroughly impressed and reassured after investing in the ghost/tracker group buy and my professional experience. You and Mike have assessed you personal risks and made your own decisions about security. I respect that but for me, I am happier with my home/vehicle security solutions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Newbie looking for advice!! ?. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!