Oil Catch Can

Home Forums Performance Engine Oil Catch Can

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

adw
    Participant

UK - England

Hi All

Ive had a look around and cant find any straight forward answers on any forums.

How do I know if I need to invest in an oil catch can? Is there a way to check without taking the intake manifold off to check the valves?

I’m not going to invest if I don’t require one as of yet.

Mods:

AccessPort / Stratified tune + STuned extended pops & bangs + custom pop and bang intensity / Boomba Racing short throw plate / DMB inlays / Mountune air filter / Mountune RMM / Mountune Recirc / Milltek Non Res Cat Back

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

To be honest you don’t “need” to invest in one, but as these engines are as strong as jelly every precaution helps.

Mishimoto say –

Single can mounting inline with the PCV system separates oil particles using 50 micron bronze filter
    Filters and can are fully serviceable
    Application specific bracket mounts
    Black hoses come pre-molded for reliable install
    Catch Can conveniently located next to the transmission
    Billet 6061 aluminium sealed can
    Defends intercooler, intake system, and essential components from oil blow-by
    Helps reduce carbon build-up on the intake valves
    Helps maintain proper octane levels to reduce potential detonation
    Internal air diverter turbulates air longer to improve oil separation
    Mishimoto Lifetime Warranty

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

adw
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks @white-rs2
    I know they’re recommended, but are some peoples engines worse than others?

What is the best way to check?

Mods:

AccessPort / Stratified tune + STuned extended pops & bangs + custom pop and bang intensity / Boomba Racing short throw plate / DMB inlays / Mountune air filter / Mountune RMM / Mountune Recirc / Milltek Non Res Cat Back

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

Sorry engines and their durability is a lottery, being either an early or later version seems to make not a lot of difference.

Have a read of this thread –

Engine's gone poof

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

red-leader
    Participant

UK - England

Just had news from a friend in the US, his 2016 RS engine lost all the oil and dropped a rod. Ford US have rejected the warranty claim as the car was fitted with an Oil Catch Can. They are claiming this was the cause of the oil loss.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

@ ADW  I looked into this and it seems that the catch can will catch about 5ml of oil per 1000miles according to mishi’s test results, and I’m guessing their test car had a pretty hard 1000 miles during that test, so thats about a teaspoon , unless you are doing a lot of miles per year I personally do not think its worth the bother/expense, plus they say to crawl underneath and check the level in the can every 1000 miles too, $od that ! I think if I was bothered I would go for the uprated breather baffle plate on the side of the block first that I think Mountune or Mishi sell, hopefully that would reduce any crankcase oily vapour from getting in the pcv system in the first place ! remember, all these people are in business to make money so would like you to believe every product is necessary ! “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

The Mishimoto catch can or the Mountune breather plate I wouldn’t buy one or the other, I’d buy the pair; to work in conjunction with each other. As the plate will not make contact with all the air, just a percentage of it, but it will outperform the shite one designed by Ford.

5ml per thousand miles isn’t a lot at all and if your changing your oil every 5-6k you’d check it then on the oil filter change

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

Jeffrey Bloom
    Participant

USA

You need to use a boroscope to check the valves. Only alternative to removing the whole manifold is to remove charge pipe to throttle and throttle and then snaking scope up through manifold to check the valves. Honestly easier to just take the whole manifold off. It’s really not hard. 5 minutes after that you will have a very clear answer. And it is going to be yes. DI turbo engines build up loads of crap on the intake runners and valves. My car at 9k miles was a mess. I am in the middle of fabricating an adapter setup so I can do my own walnut blasting to clean mine. Lots of DIY articles in Bimmer forums on it (DIY N54 Valve Blast is a good one). Not expensive to do either.

RS77
    Participant

UK - England

Red-leader – not clear how Ford can reject a claim in the way you describe. If the CC is fitted on the PCV side then any oil would otherwise be going back into the cylinders in any case. Also, if there’s that much oil being lost in the PCV system, then there’s something drastically wrong with the engine, whether there’s a CC fitted or not. Doesn’t make sense to my simple mind!

red-leader
    Participant

UK - England

PNP77 -Makes no sense to me either. My friend in the US said Ford were just using it as a way out of doing anything. He said that whole situation with Ford was a load of poo…… I think his next move may well be a legal one.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Oil Catch Can. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!