Opinions on parts

Home Forums Performance Handling Opinions on parts

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Alright,

So since couple of garages can’t see an issue with the handling or mechanics of the car and in 4 weeks time I start my new job which is 2 mins from my house I thought I’d start replacing stuff. The job I’ve been doing is 45 miles round trip over sh1t roads and I feel like these cars are only meant for smooth roads 😕. It feels like I’m gliding over roads or driving with a deflated tyre. Overtaking on the back roads I get the old veering steering which was there before. Hitting small bumps are pulling the wheels in a direction far more than normal.

I really hope it’s not the steering rack as I get the slight knock when moving the steering wheel when stationary. I’m needing better drop links. I’m going to replace the lower control arms and bushes first then if it’s still not sorted then shock absorbers then maybe there other bits in-between like tracking rod etc.

I had a look at the hardrace control arms but when you actually get all the bits to go with it it’s like over £400 for one side so I might just stick to standard. Anyone got the hardrace ones?

Get them off ford shop on eBay but the O/S wide isn’t labelled correctly so I’ve emailed them for to make sure I get the right one.

Anyone who’s upgraded their anti roll bars, which drop links have you gone with? I didn’t tell the garage which setting I wanted so they’ve stuck the standard links in the hard setting for front and back.

I have the H&R bars. I had a look at SUMMIT drop links but again fairly pricey so might get the SuperPro ones. I’ve got the SUMMIT lower brace fitted. I’ve read a few comments saying the Whiteline ones have snapped. I was originally wanting the full Whiteline kit but I bought the H&R bars when they were on sale.

Since I’ll be working 2 mins drive from home I thought it’s time to fix this little issue. Having to use the money I was going to use for upgrades. Was thinking of upgrading the cams and get a better stage 2 map at sabre but this is now priority.

Any help and opinions as normal are welcome 👍🏼

lc96
    Participant

UK - England

I’ve got Whiteline F&R drop links on my modified ST wagon (with Eibach ARB). I’ve loaded it up and yomped it about without any issues. They’re pretty beefy items (especially in comparison to OE ones) so I’m surprised to hear mention of them snapping.

https://www.aandkmotorsport.com/store/ANTI-ROLL-BARS-AND-DROPLINKS-c125523093

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

Tyres fix most of the Veering Steering.

Harder bushes will make the ride worse….. mucking with the Geo could also, they can become even more sensitive and twitchy.

Sort the dampers and springs first, the rest is then icing on the cake depending if you want to build for track or road.

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

RS@WUB
    Participant

UK - England

As @9designs says tyres made biggest difference to how my car handled. Especially with VS. Then correct alignment.

I have Ebich springs, h&r 20mm spacers and DSC box – I can push it on most roads and pulls straight and with confidence – the odd road camber does still unsettle it tho. However I do few track days a year and find I’m changing 4 tyres every 18 months – the difference between old n new even with tread left is night and day.

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@lc96

Aye I came across it on ford forums when I was Googling for drop links. I was surprised myself since they have a good rep. SuperPro one are blue so goes with the car even though you can see it haha

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@9designs and @RS@WUB

I never had veering steering ever since I fitted PS4s tyres.  It’s whatever has messed up driving on these roads. It happens overtaking on the sh1t roads hitting loads of bumps and uneven roads.  Like the first week I started the job it was fine. I did hit a pot hole as well. 3 weeks or so and something didn’t feel right. Wasn’t tight and feel as if the wheels aren’t pushed to the ground. I feel this a lot on the decent motorway roads I use. That’s when I decided to get stuff replaced.

I’ve had the alignment done at Kwik-fit on hunter and at another garage who use hoffman. Both done within a month. I got the hoffman done after i got the roll bars and lower brace fitted.

I’m running m400x map and mountune springs. Car was perfect before I got this job constantly driving on this road.

Suspension wise the next step was DSC but it’ll have to wait now.

Anyone know the part numbers for the lower control arms, shock absorbers etc.. I’ve messaged the Ford shop on eBay and still waiting to hear back from them.

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@lc96

Can’t see it.. Autocorrect is messing up my messages haha

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

Don’t waste your money on more Ford dampers.

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

So fitted standard bushes and ended up with Whiteline drop links and normal alignment (which has sorted my slightly offset steering wheel). Now I have the worse torque steer ever.. And clunking noises when driving..

F me side ways.. Getting worse.

I’ll get the alignment checked at Kwik-fit using the hunter alignment just to make sure that’s all good and get a printout.

Surely though the new standard bushes can’t give me the worse torque steer ever or the drop links aren’t fitted properly?

stteb
    Participant

UK - England

H&R anti roll bars .fitted last year …mountune springs and Whiteline adjustable drop links fitted to day ..to rear ..

fronts next week..

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@stteb

Same set up as mine.  I think the Summit front lower brace has made it too stiff up front. My roll bars are on the stiff setting as well.  Might try the softer at the front.

My issue was resolved in the end when I got my engine rebuilt.  It was a track end rod. So much time wasted in all other garages and AG Motorsport found the issue.

Was all perfect until I got 2 new tyres due to puncture.  So will be taking it back to AG again.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Opinions on parts. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!