Owners take it to the media!

Home Forums Performance Engine Owners take it to the media!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Kenny
    Keymaster

UK - Scotland

A member contacted me to say they have taken the engine issue into their own hands and submitted details to the media in the hope that Ford do something about it.

Engine failures tarnish Ford’s Focus RS halo hatchback

A rash of engine failures is causing anxiety amongst owners of the Ford Focus RS, a halo performance car in Ford’s model line-up introduced in South Africa in July 2016.

To date, AutoTrader has learned of at least seven South African-domiciled Focus RSs that have needed engine replacement, due to sudden loss of engine coolant and a misfire on engine start-up.

And the engine failures are not restricted to South Africa. On world-wide Focus RS owners forums, this problem has been a “hot” topic for some months. Focus RS owners in the USA, Germany and the UK, have reported similar problems.

Ford is “aware of the problem”

A Ford South Africa spokesperson said the following in reply to a detailed e-mail sent to its communications department, requiring answers to various aspects of these engine blow-ups:

“We’re aware of a small number of engine issues related to the Focus RS. We’re investigating currently and working to understand more about the issue.”

cylinder-head gaskets and cylinder block issues

The problem that has surfaced in number of RS engines seems to be in the areas of cylinder-head gaskets that are failing, and in some cases, cracks in the cylinder block. In both cases this allowed coolant to enter the combustion areas of the engine, causing coolant loss and potential damage to the internals of the engine. And this problem has occurred in some cases with the cars having covered less than 5 000 km!

It appears as if Ford, globally, are aware of a fundamental problem in at least certain batches of the 2,3-litre EcoBoost engine, which has been highly-tuned for its application in the very special and expensive Ford Focus RS.

Ford has replaced engines under warranty

Speaking to local RS owners who have had this problem, it appears that after a Ford representative has consulted with dealers where this fault has been reported, and the engines have been replaced with no intensive discussion between owners and Ford representatives.

Richards Bay RS owner, Siva Pillay, had his RS engine replaced having covered just over 4 000 km. Mr Pillay was satisfied with the accommodating attitude of the Ford representatives, who replaced the engine under warranty. But he was annoyed that he was told he would need to pay for a replacement clutch, as this was a “wear-and-tear item, not covered under the standard Focus RS 4 year/120 000 km warranty.”

“I refused to do this, as I argued that it was ridiculous to suggest that a clutch plate should only last 4 000 km. I asked that the original clutch be reinstalled with the new, replacement engine.  This in fact happened. Now the clutch has started to slip badly, which I feel is not acceptable. This car was sold specifically as a performance car. At the launch, specific mention was made about its suitability as a track-day car!”

Another owner who needed an engine replacement on his RS after covering just 14 500 km, was Gauteng-based Norman Koekemoer, who runs a large transport business.

“The car started misfiring on start-up, and it lost engine coolant. I took the car in to Basil Green Ford in Edenvale, and after consultation with a Ford service manager, the engine was replaced under warranty. It was also requested that I replace the clutch on my car at my own cost at this stage, but I refused. I measured the clutch plate and proved that there had been only five per cent ware on the plate, so the same clutch was reinstalled.”

Full artcile can be seen at: http://www.autotrader.co.za

ianrs
    Participant

UK - England

I’ve missed all this, you don’t get this drama with a boring golf haha

irelmo
    Participant

UK - England

In my opinion ford should recall all these cars and replace the head gasket. It seems from everything I’m reading this is the issue. They really need to do something!

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Telling the whole world that the Focus RS has a duff engine could backfire on us owners badly, it could knock thousands off the second hand value overnight as potential owners loose trust in the car, if Glass’s guide and CAP black book start to depreciate these monthly by £500 instead of the current £250 it could be a slippery slope to owning a car nobody wants. Its covered under warranty so it would have been better to let Ford deal with it on a one by one basis as they fail. I don’t want it shouted out on the nine o’clock news that us RS owners are driving naff cars that could go pop at any moment.

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

RS77
    Participant

UK - England

Totally agree with bda if you’re looking to sell in the next few years, but if this is the only way to make Ford act for those of us in it for the long haul…….

tfrs
    Participant

UK - England

Hi I’m in the long haul too for keeping my RS I’ve rang my ford store to say about the media posting and how values could be affected he says he hasn’t had any contact from Ford but would put my views forward to them ?

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

In Auto Express there is news item about the 1.0 Eco boost also had HG failures back in 2013 and Ford is now only offering good will part payment to the cost of repairs. A common issue it seems.

While I get he point about wanting to protect values it’s some what naive in today’s world of social media to think he will be kept quiet and not affect values.  We have all posted on a public forum about the issues.  Word is out, the car has been tarred with the brush so to speak.  Better option is it goes viral and Ford is forced to offer an official repair and correction, which owners can wave in future sales as showing it’s fixed.  Long term this car like all RS’s will be desired warts an all.    It may be the last all petrol edgy RS before we end up with sanitized milk floats with body kits on.

Did people stop buying Porsche’s because of IMS issues?

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

Whys having a dodgy head gasket a duff engine ? VW Audi had tons of issues with their 2.0 TDi motors which where mechanical rather than material as is the case with the Focus. The VW Audis held their price well, until the emissions farce kicked in.

A failing head gasket, allowing coolant into a hot bore and occasionally denoting the engine due to piston lock on a particular cylinder resulting in a cracked block. This engine wasn’t designed to take the stress of a mechanical lock at 3-4-5-6 thousand rpm hence a cracked block.

But the gasket guys and block & cylinder designers will have know of the fore and aft movement of this type of design so their should of been some kind of communication to allow the manufacture at inception to be circa……. fit for purpose.

Its an RS, price isn’t important its the enjoyment factor that counts. If price is a factor of your ownership; Question why you bought it in the first place.

Most RS recover in price some just longer than others for example the MK1 Focus RS was on its arse for years for absolutely no reason, apart from the dreaded torque steer, which in my view was no worse than the mk3 & Mk4 RSTs. But now since the hype of the Mk3 this benefitted the Focus Mk1 and prices have risen from Circa £5k -£12 now to £9.5 – £22k

So all will end WELL 🙂 unless you own a MK5 RS2000 that is. But I loved that Return of the Champ double bubble bonnet.

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

Yep….

I had Mk5 2000 (and Mk6)  enjoyed it also.

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Yep…

had one of those too

Photograph

Honorary Member

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Take it to the media?  Back in the day we were taking it to the bridge !!!

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Bobcat my RS2000 was what put me off black cars ! oh, and the 3.0S did too!

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

dmcracing
    Participant

Ireland

And Ireland also Kenny!

MJP Custom 2.0ltr stroked  Forged megabuild on meth injection

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@Mike, I’m never put off by having a black car ?  I’m glutton for punishment ??

Honorary Member

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Owners take it to the media!. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!