Pistonheads impression of the new Focus ST

Home Forums General Non RS Chat Pistonheads impression of the new Focus ST

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

v8griff
    Participant

UK - England

Interesting read although they haven’t driven yet.

This comment stood out though:

“The ST punches through its mid-range gear after gear, promising much for the accessibility of its performance on actual roads. It feels strong and willing, and is said to match an old Focus RS for both in gear performance and quarter-mile time. Still, it probably is a fair bit lighter…”

Thoughts?

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

If the ST is that good it bodes well for the Mk4 RS.

Honorary Member

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

maybe they are talking about a MK1 Focus RS ! I would doubt the MK4 ST would be that much lighter than the MK3 RS? maybe 200 kilos  would cover all the 4wd drivetrain on the MK3? I would guess the MK4 ST would be in the 1300 kilo area? Maybe the ST is geared shorter in the lower gears and has a more pronounced overdrive to top gear for cruising/econ

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

amanaman5
    Participant

UK - England

Top gear magazine were definitely comparing it to the mk3 RS citing it’s not dragging a heavy 4wd system around.

amanaman5
    Participant

UK - England

Hopefully the circled comment means a Mk4 RS is on the way.

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

It may be quick through the gears BUT is any good on the twisty stuff. There are many cars quick in a straight line ?

Honorary Member

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

hmm. so its slower to 60 as you would expect, and then, when wind resistance plays more of a role in slowing a car down, somehow 276bhp accelerates from lets say 70mph guessing thats where the mk4 would be catching the RS (but I doubt it) to the quarter mile at about 105mph?? on full bore the RS is not “dragging around a 4wd drive system” its actually being propelled by the 4wd system! With a 70 odd bhp deficit, the only way 276bhp is going to beat 345bhp from 70mph to 105mph is if the MK3 weighs no more than 1250 kilos AND has radically shorter 3rd, 4th and 5th gears and uses a real long o/d 6th top gear for max speed and cruising economy.  Mk3 RS  … 345bhp and around 1550kilos= 222bhp/tonne,  possible MK4ST  276Bhp and a hopeful but possibly unlikely 1250kilos= 220bhp/tonne.. snap!  I want to see the tech specs and gear ratios !!

oh and Bob… hows it going to be in the WET ??? slip sliding away…

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@bda, I suspect, no, the Mk3 RS would leave it standing in the wet.

Honorary Member

johnybigarms
    Participant

UK - England

An RS with FMP375 which is almost a standard upgrade for the extra grand, does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds in perfect conditions, the MK4 ST will be left for dead, nearer 6 seconds, you can’t compare a hot hatch with an RS, different league I’m afraid, plus what’s an ST worth in 10 years, about a third of the comparable mileage RS.

Mountune M380 package

Mishimoto throttle Pedal Spacer

Mountune Hard Charge Pipes

JCR super low seat frames x 2

DSC Suspension Controller

johnybigarms
    Participant

UK - England

Must say I’m loving my RS at the moment, back to standard exhaust with the stuffing removed from the back box on the valved side, and M380 tune, sounds great and goes even better, very happy, still look back at her when I’m walking away, very pretty car in NB

Mountune M380 package

Mishimoto throttle Pedal Spacer

Mountune Hard Charge Pipes

JCR super low seat frames x 2

DSC Suspension Controller

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Pistonheads impression of the new Focus ST. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!