PSA?

Home Forums General Non RS Chat PSA?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

GlennRS
    Participant

UK - England

No I am definitely not going to chat about the Peugeot/Citroën group on a Ford forum! I would also like to apologise in advance to the ladies of our club and those gentlemen of a younger age, (under 45) to whom this will probably have no interest, other than to hopefully raise awareness amongst your male family and friends of a certain age!

Prostate Specific Antigen is a number/level acquired by a simple blood test to determine the likelihood of Prostate Cancer. Sadly it is not offered generally through doctor’s surgeries unless you have family history but there are options to have the test privately through some social clubs for about £20, which is a cheap price to pay if you guys are suffering from issues with your waterworks and other symptoms and are concerned!

The reason for me to use this platform to raise awareness, is firstly my diagnosis in early December, thankfully caught early due to a history of the disease on both maternal and paternal sides of the family, but more so the fact that a friend who had been having problems, not followed up on them, until hearing of my diagnosis, only to find out that it is very advanced Prostate Cancer, and his prognosis for recovery is not at all good!

As for me, having explored the surgical option of removal, (which was not viable due to some previous major surgery and resultant scar tissue,) I have been started on hormone therapy treatment, to be followed up by an intensive 4/5 week course of Radiotherapy, which I should start in a couple of weeks, and the prognosis for a full recovery is currently very good, thankfully.

I am not scaremongering by any means, but if any of you guys out there, are having issues, or are concerned about things “down there” in any way…..do not put it off or be scared of discussing your issues…..go and get checked…..

It could just save your life……!👍

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@GlennRS, thank you for the informative information, pleased to read that the prognosis for a full recovery is currently very good. It takes courage to put it out there one’s personal circumstances 🙂

Honorary Member

GlennRS
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks @bobcat, just don’t think it should be a taboo subject, especially if it helps someone else! 🤞

red-leader
    Participant

UK - England

@GlennRS well said and thanks for bring this important information to all our attention.

Pleased your recovery is underway and hope this event is soon a distance memory. All the best Red 👍

kr1s
    Participant

UK - England

Great advice!
    problem is, GP’s think PSA means

Possible

Stress and

Anxiety

so they need convincing that you have a plan for the future.
    One way is to say that you want annual tests to establish a base line so any change will be noticed.
    Also  ask for modern information, leaflets, and guidance.
    in my case I “watched” my PSA rise and managed to get to a top London hospital by volunteering for research.
    better scans are available now, my London scans and blood tests were ten times more accurate than my local ones!
    In the end I had to say goodbye to my prostate gland and I was fully recovered after a month.
    It’s  a fairly routine op now, all keyholes and robots.
    I was told that if I messed with other treatments then my op could be more difficult, but every case is different.
    the most important thing is to get checked!
    Oh and before you ask, the only way to get a lovely lady to use her finger in your orifice  is to go to France, but that’s another story 🤣

v8griff
    Participant

UK - England

Very sorry to read this @glennRS.

Your post struck a cord with me, my 80 year old father was diagnosed with prostrate cancer a few months ago. Unfortunately it is stage 5, so the only recommended treatment is the hormone treatment which you mention. Hopefully this will be enough to contain the cancer and help prevent it spreading.

I had my prostrate examined (it’s not as bad as you think) when I heard his news, thankfully all is ok.

I fully endorse the purpose of your post though, men of a certain age should seek regular checks for piece of mind.

Don’t be shy fellas, you might even enjoy it (I didn’t care for it to be honest :-))

Best of luck to you Glenn.

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by v8griff.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to PSA?. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!