Squeaky Brakes

Home Forums Performance Brakes Squeaky Brakes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

masrs
    Participant

UK - England

Hi guys,

What’s the remedy for squeaky brakes? It’s happening when I’m using the brakes to come to a stop. It’s ridiculously annoying!

Thanks!

o1turbo30v
    Participant

USA

Pad change is the only permanent fix. I personally went with with Mountune Streets (Winmax), very quiet and virtually dust free, small performance improvement over the stock Brembo pads. I believe Mintex will soon have a set for the RS.

https://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-Brake-Pad-Set-Focus-RS-Street-Front-p/7036-bpf-a1.htm

adw
    Participant

UK - England

Mine sound like they grind sometimes haha.

Probably try some brake cleaner. But I’m no expert on brakes

Mods:

AccessPort / Stratified tune + STuned extended pops & bangs + custom pop and bang intensity / Boomba Racing short throw plate / DMB inlays / Mountune air filter / Mountune RMM / Mountune Recirc / Milltek Non Res Cat Back

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

masrs sounds like you have glazed them. maybe try a couple of real hard fast stops? maybe you only do long smooth gentle stops? or are you constantly hard on them? I vary the pressure, i even had them smoking wildly a while back and Ihave never had a squeak out of them funnily enough !

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

Years back you always put a liberal amount of copper grease on the back of the pads to absorb the squealing.

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

masrs
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks for all the responses guys. I think I will give @71-bda suggestion a try and see how it goes! It’s a daily driver and hasn’t been driven hard at all, exactly what has been described, gentle braking with pretty much 99% inner city driving.

Don’t want to go changing the pads already, it’s only done 2000 miles!

bumble-b
    Participant

UK - England

I had a squeak in the hall. Thought I’d got the little bugger. Turns out it was the “71bda” of the mouse world.

Every village needs an idiot.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

ha ha you tart  Mr H !! i now know how I look when doing flat bench at the gym ! I thought you would be along and suggest a liberal coating of WD40..

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

bumble-b
    Participant

UK - England

I’m not Mr H. Though Mr H knows who I am and so do you.?

Every village needs an idiot.

masrs
    Participant

UK - England

Just to add to this and following on from what @Adw mentioned – does anyone know if brake cleaner would help? Am I just able to spray it on without taking the wheels off?

o1turbo30v
    Participant

USA

@masrs, ive been trough this, i first started by taking the pads out, cleaned and sanded the faces then applied a large amount of high temp grease on the sliding surfaces, worked for 3 days, i then took them out again, cleaned and sanded down the faces and applied brake anti-squeal to piston/pad, noise came back in 500 miles, solution, new pads.

masrs
    Participant

UK - England

@o1turbo30v thanks for the response, 2000 miles seems to be far too little use to be replacing pads, especially when it’s not been driven hard. :/

rampant
    Participant

UK - England

I haven’t been in to the brake pads on my RS yet – do they have anti-squeal shims fitted?

Does the friction surface of the pads have chamfered/angled leading and trailing edges? Do they have any grooves cut in them?

As a temporary solution to squealing I can recommend CeraTec backing compound.  Worked really well on my old Evo with race pads that squealed really badly without the backing lube.

Yours Aye

Mark H

// ’17 Nitrous Blue // Forged Alloys // Michelin Super Sports // Painted Calipers // Sync 3 // Lux Pack // Winter Pack // Black Gel Spoiler Badges // Blue Gel Wheel Inserts // GTechniq Liquid Crystal // GTechniq Alloy Armour // sold Jun ’18

o1turbo30v
    Participant

USA

@rampant

“do they have anti-squeal shims fitted” No, they have that rubberized material bonded to the pad at the piston interface area.

“Does the friction surface of the pads have chamfered/angled leading and trailing edges?” No, perfectly parallel to the rotor face.

“Do they have any grooves cut in them?” No.

adw
    Participant

UK - England

I would say clean them. Maybe after a couple of ’emergency stops’. If it still exists, take it to the dealer as it’s not good enough after 2000 miles.

Breaks aren’t covered by warranty, as wear and tear, but doesn’t hurt to ask due to such low milage.

Unless it’s been tracked?

Mods:

AccessPort / Stratified tune + STuned extended pops & bangs + custom pop and bang intensity / Boomba Racing short throw plate / DMB inlays / Mountune air filter / Mountune RMM / Mountune Recirc / Milltek Non Res Cat Back

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Squeaky Brakes. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!