Stock intercooler blanking plate

Home Forums Performance General Stock intercooler blanking plate

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author

ada205
    Participant

UK - England

Only just read this thread, great read, very interesting. Bit of a shame one of the main protagonists major points regarding ‘wet-bulb’ was just copy and pasting from the Internet though ?

2016 mk3 Focus RS, 2004 Impreza STI, Pug 205gti Dimma.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

far simpler than trying to put it all into my own words innit. heres some more copy and pasting..

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Theres a very true saying that goes along the lines of.. ” those that can do something, DO, and those that can’t, teach it” some of the worst drivers are driving instructors, hell , I’ve even seen awful driving by a so-called top police pursuit instructor, so rampo being a head instructor does not surprise me one iota !

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

yorkirs
    Participant

UK - England

Some pretty poor tattoo artists as well.

May the Ford be with you

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

hahaha that’s superb yorkirs

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

rampant
    Participant

UK - England

Any more off topic needling you want to throw in my direction?

I’m really trying to be civil, but it is becoming increasingly difficult.

As far as making value judgements about “teachers”, what you describe as a “true saying” is far, far from the truth, and well you know it.  I also tend to imagine that you are not equipped to judge the standard of driving of a Police Pursuit Instructor, so your claim is invalid in my view.  What are your qualifications in order to be able to judge?  That’s just my opinion, though, and I concede that my opinion cannot reasonably be verified objectively.  (Which I’m quite happy to publicly admit on the world wide web, because I’m not precious about you not subscribing to my personal opinion.  That’s up to you.)

However, my opinion being objectively unverifiable is very different from your use of the term “Wind Chill” when applied to an intercooler. Or your windscreen.  Both of which claims can be verified as not real phenomena, and verifiably just a made up stab in the dark that you like the sound of…  Would that be a fair observation?

Cheerz

Mark H

// ’17 Nitrous Blue // Forged Alloys // Michelin Super Sports // Painted Calipers // Sync 3 // Lux Pack // Winter Pack // Black Gel Spoiler Badges // Blue Gel Wheel Inserts // GTechniq Liquid Crystal // GTechniq Alloy Armour // sold Jun ’18

andy thornton
    Participant

UK - England

Brilliant thread guys excellent banter i have no letters after my name and have only been a mechanic some 36 years,Does having crankcase breathers re-directed through induction/intercooler and not being vented to atmosphere make any difference as oil will contain moisture/water especially as it gets older,have seen some pretty mucky intercoolers.

Only a thought or shall i get my coat.

Former RS Edition owner

rampant
    Participant

UK - England

Crank or head breathers being plumbed to induction side is not a brilliant engineering solution. It can easily lead to coating the induction piping and intercooler internal surfaces with oily residue, over time, with the direct consequence of a marked decrease in the thermal efficiency of the intercooler as well as a small reduction in the mass flow efficiency if the entire induction system. A catch can is the best idea to prevent that. Or another solution is to vent the crank or head straight to atmosphere, or even through a catch can to atmosphere. (Remembering to block off the induction entry port). Something which a manufacturer can’t do due to “legislation”. Doesn’t stop us owners doing it, though. ☺

Yours Aye

Mark H

PS. I know the question was probably banter, but now you have confirmation that I’d give the same answer as you probably would ☺

// ’17 Nitrous Blue // Forged Alloys // Michelin Super Sports // Painted Calipers // Sync 3 // Lux Pack // Winter Pack // Black Gel Spoiler Badges // Blue Gel Wheel Inserts // GTechniq Liquid Crystal // GTechniq Alloy Armour // sold Jun ’18

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

Hasn’t Aaron got that tattoo on the palm of his hand from Fast & Loud 🙂

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

nicklulu
    Participant

USA

Necro bump.

After reading this thread for more than 2 hours, lots of good info.

And comments that are in theory (and fact), I am also curious if anyone had actually confirmed and gains from removing the blocking plate?

A kot of Rs owners typically swaps out the IC for more hp.

But after a tune and removing the plate, are there gains?

I had LanEvo in the past that the stock IC is good up to a certain degree of mods.

I do have a turbo blanket that I will be installing to help reduce ambient temp under the bonnet and also should help to have the turbo spool faster.

Just curious if the OE IC will be efficient enough for me.

oasked
    Participant

UK - England

I haven’t removed my blanking plate (although I’ve been tempted to).

You’re increasing the effective surface area of the intercooler by removing the blanking plate. I’d do that as a first step before replacing the entire intercooler. You can do it for free so try for yourself.

My own car is FPM 375, so I’ll be leaving the blanking plate on for now as neither Ford nor Mountune removed it.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

@ oasked, I would have it off especially with a 375, and especially in the Summer/warm. Any reduction in inlet temps can only be a bonus thinking of ignition timing advance tolerance and pinking and boost etc etc.

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

oasked
    Participant

UK - England

Finally removed my blanking plate last night, came off fairly easily with only a little glue left on the intercooler.

Haven’t run the car yet, but not expecting any negative impact given others experience (particularly in the USA). Hopefully the lower charge temperatures will help, although in reality I’m unlikely to notice any difference. But at least the intercooler now looks symmetrical.

https://www.focusrs.org/forum/9-focus-rs-discussions/3944-intercooler-blocking-plate-description-removal-12.html

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Stock intercooler blanking plate. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!