Sync 2 to sync 3

Home Forums Technology In-Car Entertainment Sync 2 to sync 3

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

John Plater
    Participant

United Kingdom

Hi All,

I Have Sync2 in my RS dose any 1 on here know if i could upgrade to Sync 3 ? Is there a way a dealer could change from Sync 2 to Sync 3 ???

benkhana
    Participant

United Kingdom

It is technically possible although will not be cheap, the parts alone come in at just over 1K.

Someone on another group has been in contact with Ford, they are looking into whether they can offer it as an official upgrade.

John Plater
    Participant

United Kingdom

Ok thanks for letting me know. I will keep a look out and see if any 1 else gets it done

sedde
    Participant

Greece

Ford wont do it, at some point i will source the parts needed and do it myself, i will let you guys know how it went.

Bagi00
    Participant

Switerland

Some updates guys :D?

dazzqpr
    Participant

UK - England

I had mine changed by Hendys in Eastleigh. Wasnt cheap but so much better now 🙂

Martinj1990
    Participant

UK - England

The cost for this is 1,700.

not sure if I can justify this amount of money for an update in sync. Not sure if it is worth the money.

Mountune 375

Mountune V3 Exhaust

Mountune Mud Flaps

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

Apart from the head unit what other parts are required or need modifying ?

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

RS77
    Participant

UK - England

1. New screen
    2. New APIM (module behind the screen)
    3. New USB hub if you want full functionality eg Apple play
    4. New wiring loom in the centre console or adapt existing to supply power to the new hub.
    5. GPS aerial.

Head unit is the only thing that doesn’t need to be swapped or modified.

APIM needs programming to ensure a match with control functions eg reversing camera, climate control, etc.

RS77
    Participant

UK - England

So I bought the above items from eBay and spent around 2 hours fitting them and I now have Sync 3. The screen, APIM and aerial are all brand new, cost around £600, and were programmed specifically for my car’s configuration so everything works as it should. The USB hub and loom are seconds from a salvage yard. I didn’t have to remove the lower centre console, just the back of the armrest to get to the USB hub cabling. Also didn’t have to replace the whole loom – just a bit of soldering for the connector to power up the new hub. The GPS aerial is fitted inside the rear view mirror assembly so everything is nicely hidden away.

It’s also running version 3 firmware so should be more reliable.

Such an improvement over sync 2.

One left on Ebay if anyone is interested – https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Ford-16-17-SYNC-3-APIM-Module-Screen-Antena-OEM-with-NAV-EUROPE/273060822170?hash=item3f93b17c9a:g:nfAAAOSwBRVafDcC

RS77
    Participant

UK - England

I stumbled across an interesting setting when trying to decide where to site the new GPS antenna for my sync 2 to 3 upgrade.

You hold right seek and eject for about 10 seconds.  End the speaker test walkaround. Hit testing settings. Scroll down to Satellite Signal. Then the graphs will show.

Useful if you’re having problems with your sat nav. This also reveals other functions, but don’t go changing these if you’re not sure what the impact might be.

Matthew Criddle
    Participant

UK - England

What do you do about the vin number if you change the head unit as this is needed for the updates

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

If you buy the Ford USB lead in the rear armrest at around £230 you get a serial number the dealer can register. The lead is two wires and a plug each end, which is a few quid from China or scheme on yourself.

Updates I believe would then be done via USB stick, other members are expert and can supply updates and hacks.

I’ve converted mine now, cost about 700 I think, didn’t add it all up though.

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Pauly Paul
    Participant

Wouldn’t getting one from ford for a grand be safest bet , for £300 less ,, is it worth the hassle . Just saying 😏😏👍👍

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

It’s £1558 from Ford I believe.

https://www.hendyeshop.co.uk/focus-rs-sync-2-to-sync-3-upgrade-298702-p.asp

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Sync 2 to sync 3. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!