The head gasket

Home Forums General Newbie The head gasket

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Robbie Butler
    Participant

UK - Wales

HI to all. Does anybody have any info on weather ford as found a fix to the rs engine problem. I know the early head gaskets leaked from 2016 on and that raised the issue with ford. But did they fix the problem then or did they carry on with production  just letting everybody buy a rs knowing there will be a good chance it will have a engine fail. I bought mine in August and its a 2017.5 model but as i only do 3000 miles a year it will be out of warrenty by time the trouble will most likely begin at the 9000 miles mark.

Any info will be much appreciated

Rob

elliot
    Participant

UK - England

Hi Robbie, welcome to the forum. Lots of information on this issue if you look around the threads.

FPM 375. MSD 350/380/400

DSC

Tractive Suspension 

jonno71
    Participant

UK - England

There are rumours that engine builds from July 17 have been revised….however I am not sure how this information got into the public domain as if asked Ford just repeat the same thing….bring it in if it fails, but will not confirm if changes have been made. I guess we will only know for sure in about a years time when plenty of the current production have 10k miles on them.

mexicoian
    Participant

UK - England

Same problem here Robbie mine’s a July 16 built engine collected car Sept 1st 2016 now covered 635 miles ” will address this issue with my ford dealer on its 2nd service if nothing bin sorted ‘ fingers constantly crossed ??

nilagin
    Participant

UK - England

Rumour has it that Ford will be rolling out a fix for all owners February/ March time. If however anybody’s engine shows symptoms of head asket failure (rough start and loss of coolant) they should get their car to a dealer asap.

jonno71
    Participant

UK - England

I really don’t know where the rumours if revised engines, recalls and the wrong gaskets being fitted are coming from. Ford are totally tight lipped about this.

The one about the wrong gaskets being fitted sounds like fake news….great fake news for Ford though, implying nothing wrong with the engine, a simple mistake and nothing to see here.

Probably going to get shot down and called negative for daring to mention this but if say 5% are failing at 12 months old, will they get exponentially worse as the miles build? If so the cars will be worth jack at say 5 years old.

It seems the ST has dimensionally the same block….the RS just has a longer throw crank on it to get the extra capacity, why Ford went with the cheaper to make open block is beyond me.

The Mustang using a similar block has cooling slits machined between the bores…the RS seems to have a tiny water passage cross drilled. Maybe they were trying to stabilise the cylinders but the cross drilling is not providing enough cooling. Who knows.

I hope the detail changes if there have been any on the latest engines are enough to prevent failures, not just stave them off for 20 or 30 thousand miles.

Maybe not great going over old ground….but the more noise about this the more chance of a proper fix, if that is possible. The old Porsche 944 turbo engines were similar in bore and head interface design and failed as well….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to The head gasket. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!