What's the most money you've ever lost on a car

Home Forums General Non RS Chat What's the most money you've ever lost on a car

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

v8griff
    Participant

UK - England

I’ll start this off, purchased a 2011 Audi S5 for £21,500 in 2016. Kept it 12 months, put 12K miles on it and lost £7K.

P*ss poor for a second hand car I think.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Have not really lost money on cars, ( this Focus RS could start a new trend though!!)but as a car dealer, the cheapest car I ever bought was £2 , a 1976R Fiat 126 with a broken timing chain,( valves don’t hit in the old 2-cylinder 594cc) did the chain myself for a few quid and flogged it for £350 ( back in 1985) and possibly the best %age return I had on a car was back in about 2002, a 2.2Vtec Prelude  1995N  an import, had a water pump leak, paid £25 out of a Honda dealer as it was taken as a P/X, took it home, quickly waxed it as it was faded red, rang another trader who dealt in old bangers ,and flogged it to him for £1250 in under 3 hours. the motor trade was good back in the day !!

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

rsdom
    Participant

UK - Wales

Range Rover Vogue paid 29k for it in 98 had it 9 months, desperate to get into an Evo 7 at the time, lost 8k….ouch

rsdom
    Participant

UK - Wales

Sorry 2001 lol

rs-jon
    Participant

UK - England

Lost £8k on a Focus ST TDCi in 16 months – had it been petrol then it wouldnt have been so bad but government scaremongering on diesels killed the residuals…

hitch6742
    Participant

UK - England

Quite possibly this one, the RS! But fingers crossed they pick up in a year or 2.

NB 375, Goodrich hoses, RDU cooler (fitted for the hell of it), gas bonnet struts, Mountune RR, hard pipe kit, V1 cat-back….and RS seat covers!

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

2017 Mk3 RS Magnetic had twelve months (932 miles) lost enough to sting a tad. Traded it in at £29.5k

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

Steve Owens
    Participant

UK - England

Did you people (BDA) think a £30k Focus was a smart financial investment? You buy a car to enrich your life, not your bank account; if you wanted an investment you should’ve got an ISA — the world would’ve been a happier place.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

nope, certainly not any kind of ‘investment.’ Me getting a fixed rate Isa from the Leeds B.S 5 years ago fixed at 4% for 10 years for some spare cash to forget about for a while was certainly smarter than buying a new car though! I just wish interest rates went up somewhere near to 1990 levels !! about 15% .At the time, Bristol and West B.S were paying 17% interest for a few months before it started to slide doon. Makes hunting for 1.5%  seem inane now.

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to What's the most money you've ever lost on a car. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!