Young at heart … and slightly mad

Home Forums General Newbie Young at heart … and slightly mad

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

john-tukan
    Participant

UK - England

Old and new

pffff

Hi All. Just introducing myself. I must be one of the oldest, if not the oldest, member of this forum. At 71 years of age I still get a buzz out of fast fords. My very much loved wife died 18 months ago on Boxing Day and I miss her terribly. Nine months ago I went to my Ford dealership to buy something “sensible” but came out with the RS (as seen in the pic).

The Cortina was my very first rally car back in the 70’s. I had this same car for many years, although it was like “Trigger’s broom” in “Only fools and horses” i.e. not much of the original car actually survived!. This Cortina pic is before the bigger wheels and tyres and the much appreciated roll cage!!. Finished with 1600 GT Xflow engine, 2000E gearbox and the usual mods.

I love the RS and plan to keep it for a couple of years then go all sensible again! Just 2 small gripes. (1) ride can be just a little too stiff for normal road use and (2) turning circle (due to big wheels etc.) cause people to point a finger saying “soppy old bugger can’t even get round a corner”. Other than that very pleased. Although I’m very tempted, I don’t plan any mods.

For a couple of years I had to drive very, very smoothly and go around corners carefully else my wife would have been sick. This was due to her condition. It was very annoying when impatient motorists would shout abuse or wave a finger at us. These days these morons soon become a dot in my rear view mirror!!

So, if you are at any events and you see an old fart in a white RS eating a sausage roll and drinking coffee out of a flask. Come over and have a chat. You will most probably be the only person I’ve spoken to that week.
    Finally, I find the web site very useful and enjoy reading the forums.

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Welcome John ? your not that old to be a Ford RS fan my first Ford was an Anglia 105E 1200 super on a D plate.

Honorary Member

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Good for you John, there are a few shall I say mature owners of the RS on here. And there’s no substitute for experience and wisdom. Whereabouts are you based in the UK.?

Coastliner

mad-murph
    Participant

UK - England

Welcome John, age is but a number so you’re never too old for an RS.

Car is looking great and I hope you get lots of enjoyment out of it.

Kenny
    Keymaster

UK - Scotland

Welcome and great introduction.

elliot
    Participant

UK - England

Welcome John. Thanks for sharing with us.

My first Ford was a Mk2 Lotus Cortina.

FPM 375. MSD 350/380/400

DSC

Tractive Suspension 

paul144
    Participant

UK - England

Welcome to the group John, love the cars.

A few bits and pieces added

central1254
    Participant

UK - England

Hello John,

There will be many people on here that will look forward to your updates and your exploits!

Thank you for you introduction, very personal and moving.

As others have said you are not that old.

Your car will attract people who will want to chat to you.

Best wishes

Ged

warehou
    Participant

Australia

Welcone from Oz John

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Welcome John ! Suddenly 53 doesn’t seem too old for an RS now !! Thanks for that ! I must admit I do drive looking at the road directly ahead looking for potholes, manhole covers, bumps etc to avoid in an effort to make the ride a bit smoother and having mechanical sympathy always think it keeps the suspension in better shape and stops straining the bodyshell too much, and hopefully wont eventually introduce a load of interior rattles which I hate ! ( probably comes from owning an RS1600 for 34 years and doing the same to avoid the windscreen pillars flexing and cracking at the base through stress of stiff suspension!!) My dad got me into fast Fords from the age of two I think, starting with a Cortina GT. I see you have bought the ‘best’ colour for the RS too, that will please Mr Howsey as well, so welcome to the “White is right” sub-team here on the forum ! Cheers.

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

rsjas070
    Participant

UK - England

Welcome John and why not come over to castle combe next weekend and join us.

J

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

or… if you are Berkshire area, there is a breakfast meet and drive-out starting at 8am this Sunday at Jacks cafe on the A30 London Road Bagshot for Focus RS’s more the merrier etc

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

john-tukan
    Participant

UK - England

Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated. A little more about myself. I live on the South Coast between Portsmouth and Southampton in a place known locally as “God’s waiting room”. Sometimes the only sounds you can hear are the sound of bowling balls clonking together and the clicking of badly fitted hip replacements. Before I get near home I have to switch back to “normal” mode in case I get any pops and bangs and give anyone a heart attack or be classed as a “young hooligan”. Actually quite like that title!

My very first car was a Ford Prefect 100E. Side valve engine, 3 speed gearbox, and wipers powered by vacuum from the engine intake manifold that stopped working if going up a hill, and a 0 to 60 time of – “if you left after breakfast you may make 60 mph before if got dark!” In-car entertainment was a transistor radio hanging from the rear door window winder. Fond memories, and the first time it went wrong and I was able to fix it myself, I was hooked.

I’m close to Thruxton, Castle Combe, Beaulieu, Goodwood and, when possible, and when I feel up to it, I try to attend events. I don’t know till I wake up if I feel like going out so I try not to make definite plans. I might make it for “Ford Day” at Castle Combe. I did consider doing a Track Day at Castle Combe but reluctantly decided against it. So went out and bought a PlayStation and Dirt Rally and felt a little bit better! Nice thing is if you have an off – just press reset and if you hit a tree it doesn’t hurt!.

Back to the RS. Hearing tales of block/head gasket failures on early models so checking my oil and water a bit more frequently than I did before. Also keeping the car “stock” in case I need to claim under warranty. My local dealer said if I had anything hard wired, even a dash cam or tracker, it would invalidate my warranty. I’m sure that’s not correct but I don’t need the hassle if I need any work done. For security I’ve bought a disklok and have booked time at the local gym to build up my muscles so I can lift the bloody thing! Found I need to put something between the wheel and disklok to stop it making a dent in the wheel. Again thanks for your replies.

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks for sharing John ?

Honorary Member

blechdosenbill
    Participant

Germany

Welcome to the Forum !

Lifes to short for boring cars !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Young at heart … and slightly mad. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!