Athena Head Gasket

Home Forums Performance Engine Athena Head Gasket

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

hillman998
    Participant

New Zealand

Hi

Has anyone had any experience with Athena gaskets?

I recognise the name from motorbikes but have never used their automotive gaskets.  Given that I live at the other end of the world I’m thinking of getting one of their gaskets to keep on the shelf, just in case I get the blown gasket outside warranty.

The blurb sounds impressive.  If the critical element is liner flex I’m not sure any gasket will resolve the fundamental issue but the “improved ring sealing”  might give a little more margin on a road car.

If I have to replace the gasket I also intend to get hold of the Norris Designs block insert which should go some way to minimising  liner creep and improve sealing with the gasket.

Funny I remember inserting rods between the block and wet liners of 80’s Honda engines, some things don’t change.

mart
    Participant

UK - Wales

They look pretty good mate.

I had a kit on my Honda crf and didn’t have any issues. I know it was a bike, but I looked around for a decent one.  You don’t want to change them every week.

At least they have the new upgraded gasket.

Part box stock them.

Looks good

https://www.part-box.com/338482r-athena-head-gasket-ford-focus-rs-mk3

Not sure how much a kit would be, I think the head bolts could only be used once.

mart
    Participant

UK - Wales

Kenny
    Keymaster

UK - Scotland

I got offered these to have as a group buy but doing the mod yourself will invalidate your warranty so only be for people who are modding their cars and not caring about warranty

mart
    Participant

UK - Wales

Oh bloody hell yeah.

Not sure why ford doesn’t do a recall to change them all.

This was in the news today

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2017-10-18/ford-to-take-267-million-hit-from-recall-of-f-series-pickups

mart
    Participant

UK - Wales

There isn’t that many RS’s yet lol ?

hillman998
    Participant

New Zealand

Thanks Mart

Not sure all this, keeping things on the shelf, is really necessary but with all the engine issues being reported it gives me peace of mind to know I can control the outcome if the gasket blows outside of the Warranty.

mart
    Participant

UK - Wales

Good.

Or as Kenny wrote. Modified engines or people who don’t care.

I think as long as it’s a v.a.t registered garage then your ok.

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

I don’t think Kenny should be playing being big brother or GOOOOOD (God) give the people the choice !!! Their cars their choice !!!!!!!!

And just look in the parts for sale on this site, are all them warranty friendly I THINK NOT !!!!!

So bar hum bug to that answer 🙂

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

RS77
    Participant

UK - England

If the gasket blows, there’s a good chance that the block will cracking due to water entering the cylinders. So need to keep more than just a replacement gasket.  Unless you do it as a precautionary measure.

hillman998
    Participant

New Zealand

I have a chemical test kit to detect exhaust gasses in the the coolant. I can reccomend these kits as the best way to detect a blown gasket even before coolant is lost or compression test shows a drop. First sign of trouble and the car is off the road. Yes the block can crack but hopefully only if it there is major water loss.

If Ford ever get round to giving a clear message as to the root cause I would replace or fix it up and be happy to pay if I could not do it myself. Getting a gasket and some bolts just gives me options rather than waiting on Henry Ford.

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

@HILLMAN998

I’m interested in that chemical kit, could you please supply details as to where to purchase, brand etc

Prevention is always preferable to cure.

Cheers

A

🙂

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

peters
    Participant

UK - N.Ireland

hillman998
    Participant

New Zealand

They can be very accurate, some very expensive but the cheap ones do the job. I found they are accurate enough to pick up the gasses before fluid loss and sometimes before a compression test shows a major drop in cylinder pressure. If you feel the need do the test and put your mind at rest one way or the other.

Should not be necessary if Ford released details of effected cars so it’s better to take control rather than wait around wondering when the engine will go pop.

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

@PETERS

THANK YOU

🙂

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Athena Head Gasket. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!