Athena Head Gasket

Home Forums Performance Engine Athena Head Gasket

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

@ hillman, I believe all of these cars are likely to suffer at some time from the failure, its just a matter of when and not ‘if’ only once ford start fitting either a block liner brace as std or a modified block or, a headgasket which will cure the problem ( but to my mind a headgasket will never be able to overcome the liners moving around)

Over a year ago when these started failing some dealers were using the ‘combustion gas in coolant’ type testers when folks noticed their coolant levels dropping  but all these tests came back negative, the coolant was only leaking into the chamber when the engine was turned off and cooling down, the pressure in the cooling system would  cause the coolant to enter the combustion chamber and when restarted, maybe next morning when cold , that was when the misfire would occur as spark plugs initially fouled with coolant. it is not a case of the combustion gasses pressurizing or even escaping into the cooling system, at least not in the early stages of failure, I would think for those testers to work in our situation, the engine would have to be literally just about to ‘go’!

Why worry buying this stuff when all you need to do is monitor your coolant level ? If it starts dropping and/or you notice a slight misfire on cold start, its time to go to the dealer. I’ve paid enough for the car and extra warranty so don’t see why I should do the dealers job for them, at least not for first 5 years !

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

RSOldie
    Participant

UK - England

With you on that one 71-bda.

greyghost
    Participant

USA

@hillman998, the Athena gasket will not solve the problem. You need what is called the version -C head gasket from Ford. It blocks of the bottom hole  on number 2 cylinder, has thicker gasket materiel between each cylinder, and better sealing all the way around. This still may not solve the problem  completely but should give longer time between failures. Actually the head needs to be replaced or machined to a more flat surface. Variances should not be more than .0003.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    2016 SG RS2 Forged wheels in my garage.

gary1234
    Participant

UK - England

I think most will go at some time

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Athena Head Gasket. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!