Do you need to replace all 4 tyres?

Home Forums Performance Tyres Do you need to replace all 4 tyres?

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Smokin Joe
    Participant

UK - England

You just couldn’t write it……….travelling home and the low tyre pressure light came on thinking I’ll check them when I get home, another half mile or so I had a flat tyre……..tried to get car recovered, lorry came but too low due to the TRC’s, asked him to drop our lass off home and she came back in my sons ST as he had a jack in the boot but couldn’t get that under either………….after several hours debating what to do I decided to pay and get the AA to come out………he had some small plastic ramps which just lifted the cat sufficient enough to get a trolley Jack under……….the only way to get me home was to change one of my back wheels to the front, put one of my sons ST tyres on the back due to the smaller calipers on the back and to put his space saver on his ST…………what an effing afternoon it’s been and to top it off my tyres are (all 4) are about 4 weeks old, I’m hoping it’s a one off and not a problem with it being the same wheel as my pic in thread #150492…………..the wheel in 150492 is after 28k, this one ~500 miles……….

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMMN6WxIREcNGljuqrLTKFg

Joe

Nitrous Blue

M380

Rally Armour Flaps

Scorpion Sports Cat/Exhaust

TRC’s

Mountune Billet Short Shifter

Airtec Intercooler

Velossa Tech Big Mouth Ram Air

Smokin Joe
    Participant

UK - England

Think I’ll buy those plastic ramps, a trolley Jack and a spare wheel if I want to keep the TRC’s……………

Joe

Nitrous Blue

M380

Rally Armour Flaps

TRC’s

Airtec Intercooler

Smokin Joe
    Participant

UK - England

As mentioned in this thread I’ve new tyres all round as all 4 were due to be changed, should I get a puncture on any tyre would you need to replace the opposite tyre on the same axle ?

Joe

Nitrous Blue

M380

Rally Armour Flaps

TRC’s

Airtec Intercooler

1234enough
    Participant

UK - England

Smoking joe, get a spare wheel? Jag spare fits, ford jack all available off ebay.

Manual says;

Note:   Using a tire or wheel that is not recommended could cause steering, suspension, axle, power transfer unit or rear drive unit failure. Incorrect tire or wheel use can cause damage not covered by the vehicle Warranty.
    Your vehicle does not have a spare tire. We do not recommend using a mismatched tire or spare wheel. However, in an emergency, the system can tolerate a mismatched tire or spare wheel of a different size to the original for a short journey. The system may automatically enter front-wheel drive only mode to protect driveline components. An all-wheel drive off warning message may appear in the information display if you install a mismatched tire or spare wheel.   See   Information Messages.  The message turns off after you reinstall the correct wheel and tire and you switch the ignition off and on. We recommend that you reinstall the repaired or replaced wheel and tire as soon as possible.
    Major mismatched tire or wheel sizes between the front and rear axles, for example 18 inch low profile tires on the front axle and 20 inch high profile tires on the rear axle could cause the system to default to front-wheel drive only mode. Damage to the system can occur that may not covered by the vehicle Warranty.
    The system can tolerate any combination of new and worn tires of the same original tire size. For example, using three worn tires and one new tire.

Personally if I had to put a new tyre on I’d put same type as other tyre on axle and if the other tyre had less than 3-4mm left replace both, plus you could pick the best tyre on car with most tread to go with new one.

I rotate front to back to keep wear even.

Smokin Joe
    Participant

UK - England

@1234enough………that’s exactly what I’m doing, got my eye on a couple of rims to choose from and would put the exact make of tyre on it, I just wasn’t sure if it would affect anything and now I see it would only be a problem if it was a mismatch…………..I’m going for a full rim rather than a space saver as I’m off for a road trip in spring/summer (all being well) and therefore having a like for like wheel would be better.  Other than the road trip I don’t really venture far in the RS so I’d leave the spare wheel at home with the trolley jack and if I do get a puncture I’ll get our lass to hoy them in the boot of her car and she’ll fetch them to me…………..that’s about the only good thing her working from home………….

Joe

Nitrous Blue

M380

Rally Armour Flaps

TRC’s

Airtec Intercooler

Nateodog
    Participant

UK - England

No nothing specific really most rs’s go like that on the inner edge however,

i am running adj camber bushes now and the wear is even its just on the inner edge same as before my tyres were inflated still also at the time of my pic even after checking the passenger side it was the same!!! Even though it didnt look like it when the car was on the ground it wasnt until i took it off that you could see the full extent of the damage

SABRE

666.6 bhp 99 oct & wmi

558 lbft

OEMeth installs

Aquamist

sabre tuning

Spec-R

J9-performance

funk motorsport

Hel

Owen developments

WP Pro brakes

HELIX Automotive

KW suspensions

Barney Build

Grant Motorsport

daddy999
    Participant

UK - England

Took my Blue Edition in for MoT in May. Car has only done 3700 miles from new. All 4 tyres had cracking on the inside rims. Not as bad as above. And I haven’t been drifting. Maybe there’s a problem with them. I check the pressures weekly so always at correct pressures and never seem to lose air. Keep a check on the insides guys as that can go unnoticed until it’s too late.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Do you need to replace all 4 tyres?. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!