Engine RS focus recal

Home Forums Performance Engine Engine RS focus recal

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Neil Macneil
    Participant

UK - Scotland

i have ordered an rs focus but have just read about these engine failures…now I’m worried.. I’ve read ford have sorted the problem but is this the case?

regards Neil

red-leader
    Participant

UK - England

Neil, no fix officially announced by Ford yet. Rumor is sometime in the next few weeks. Failure rate is a small percentage of cars built. Take out the extended warranty before you leave the dealer with the car. You are then covered for five years on all parts except trim and normal service parts. It is just such a car to drive and I am sure your will enjoy driving it, the rest of us do. ? ?

red-leader
    Participant

UK - England

Neil I forgot to say a very warm welcome to the forum. We are all here to help and try and answer any questions. ?

irelmo
    Participant

UK - England

Hi, if you’ve just ordered it then it will be fine. The problem exists with pre June 17 cars I believe.

You’re going to love the car, trust me!

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

@NeilMcNeil

Hello what have you ordered spec etc 🙂

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

And also welcome to here 🙂

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

yorkirs
    Participant

UK - England

Welcome Neil

Just enjoy the RS, it will put smiles on your face every time you go out.

looking at your photo I guess you have some great roads locally

As red leader says, the 5 yr warranty is a good plan

Enjoy??????

May the Ford be with you

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Welcome Neil happy RS’ing enjoy the beast the smiles will last for a long time

Honorary Member

Deane Harvey
    Participant

UK - England

Morning…

Sorry if this post should be in a different place…

No doubt your sick of discussing this topic!!

But for those of you that love talking about it….let’s chat!!

Ive just joined the club as I’m looking to buy an RS….I was going to get a MK2 but I fancy a MK3,the only thing stopping me is this engine failure.

Ive got some money there to buy the RS,then a loan and maybe sell an organ or 2 and I should have enough,there are a few for 26,27 grand,I’m reading Ford will take them in and  do the relevant tests but do you think this will be enough long term,I can’t stretch to buy one then have it blow on me.

I know they are a great car these problems aside but I’m just nervous I’ll get stung,if I was to buy one for 26 grand I presume it’s in the danger years and could blow on me,I presume nothing is in place for all RS owners to take them in and get tested and fixed so they will never blow,all jokes apart would you advise me to steer clear???

cheers Deano

red-leader
    Participant

UK - England

Get one Deano you will enjoy it, every time I take mine out I smile, fantastic car. Welcome to the forum as well. There is nothing else on the market that is is good to drive currently at the price.

RSDave
    Participant

UK - England

Engine failure from this is extremely low its the gasket that’s the problem but it’s hit and miss my cars on over 19000 miles and fine and going in on the 15th to be pressure tested where as others have had problems at a few thousand miles.

Ford are fixing the problem but atm sourcing the parts before they send out the recall that was just recalled cause they’re a bit thick and didn’t check they had enough parts in stock before issuing it. It will be all sorted. As far as i know cars from i think june 17 onwards have had no problems which are the cars with the correct gasket fitted from factory

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Welcome Deano, as above there’s nothing on the market for smiles per miles, IMO go for it make sure it has warranty you will not regret it.

Honorary Member

Deane Harvey
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks for the welcome and for your replies…

I had an RB320 so was looking for something similar performance wise so I thought the RS would suit it’s just this gasket failure that’s putting me off and making me think the MK2 would be better for me.

The RB recently had a recall of passenger airbags so they were writing to all owners to take them in to get fixed,do you think this would happen with the RS,all owners would be wrote too and asked to bring in for the pressure test?

Also do you think once tested and reissued that would be it,no other issues would arise ?

Its just I hate dealing with these main dealer places,it’s like talking to a cardboard cut out in past experience,but if they were writing to all owners that would help,I won’t dwell on this subject because I’m sure your all sick of it,I’ll just keep an eye on other posts,but until something more concrete about this I’ll have to unfortunately hold off……

aardvark
    Participant

UK - England

Welcome to the forum Deane , and you are looking to get an amazing car ! If you are buying from a dealer then you should be able to insist that if it is a pre-july17 car they will do the FSA on it before you purchase and if they will not promise this and put in writing I would tell them to stick it look elsewhere. As a prospective purchaser you are in a strong position at the moment as many people have changed their orders to the Edition model so dealers will have a surplus of standard cars. If possible make sure it has SYNC3 and not sync2 which was on the earlier cars.

Hope you find a good one , I am still delighted that I made this car the choice as my retirement present against the other available options and glad I did not wait for the Honda type R which is not FunFunFun like this car. Mine is an everyday driver and is perfect as one.

Deane Harvey
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks for the tips!

i would probably be buying an earlier one so hopefully these tests would have been done with them now becoming such an issue,if not I don’t think I would purchase it because knowing my luck I’d get to the nearest traffic lights and plooms of smoke will bellow out! and thanks for the tip of sync3 too ??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Engine RS focus recal. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!