Exhaust Flap Control

Home Forums Performance Exhaust Exhaust Flap Control

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

stan916
    Participant

UK - England

I have just made my own bit of kit to open and close the exhaust flap manually using a rotary pot. It uses a stepper motor to replace the standard electric actuator (the black plastic thing on the LH side of the tailpipe) and a couple of off-the-shelf circuit boards and I can have the valve in any position I want by turning a knob.

I have a KMS Tornado system on my car which I found to be too loud on cold start up (at 6am in the morning, thinking about neighbours) and cruising at speed on the motorway so I wanted to be able to control the flap position manually and I didn’t want to spend over £200 on the kit that is available for sale, which only has the valve fully open and fully shut anyway and I wanted complete control.

I haven’t worked out the exact costs but I’m guessing it cost me about £100 overall and I have now learned a few things about stepper motors and programming boards (I have used an Arduino Micro and an EasyDrive stepper motor controller, you can find out about these by Googling them), which I will use on other projects. Happy to share more details if anyone is interested.

This of course bypasses the std wiring, so you do need the valve delete plug as well, though I’ve checked this and as far as I can see it’s only a resistor so it’s easy to do it yourself and save money on the plugs that are for sale.

rampant
    Participant

UK - England

Excellent stuff Stan. Like the idea very much, well done.

Where have you placed the rotary knob?

Yours Aye

Mark H

// ’17 Nitrous Blue // Forged Alloys // Michelin Super Sports // Painted Calipers // Sync 3 // Lux Pack // Winter Pack // Black Gel Spoiler Badges // Blue Gel Wheel Inserts // GTechniq Liquid Crystal // GTechniq Alloy Armour // sold Jun ’18

stan916
    Participant

UK - England

Cheers Mark. At the moment its mounted on a small Maplin box along with the other gubbins (including LED’s now) in the centre console but once I’ve had it running for a while and everything seems OK I plan to remove the 12V power socket next to the gear lever and fit it there. Just trying to figure out the best place for the LED’s now…

rampant
    Participant

UK - England

Personally, I wouldn’t remove the 12V socket – I find that really useful for passenger’s phones and other charging gubbins that I’d prefer not to plug in to the Sync system. I guess there’s very little other real-estate to use, though, particularly if you want a reversible fit.

I’d love to see the system working – sounds like a great DIY project.

Cheerz

Mark H

// ’17 Nitrous Blue // Forged Alloys // Michelin Super Sports // Painted Calipers // Sync 3 // Lux Pack // Winter Pack // Black Gel Spoiler Badges // Blue Gel Wheel Inserts // GTechniq Liquid Crystal // GTechniq Alloy Armour // sold Jun ’18

tommy306
    Participant

Germany

Hi guys,

do you think such a part here? the description is unfortunately only available in German.

I have translated it with Google. There are two systems available, Classic and Premium (see description) I have the supplier times contacted and asked for a discount for the members, he said that in a group order of several systems there would also be something to make the price.

Shipping costs to UK amount to about 15 € – maximum 20 €.

SYSTEM CLASSIC

https://www.db-autoveredelung.de/classic-ford-elektrisch/

Our high-quality exhaust flap control “Classic” allows you to set 2 adjustable modes for your exhaust flap on the vehicle.

Sport mode:
    Our exhaust flap control opens the exhaust flap permanently and the flap exhaust ignites its full sound potential in all speed ranges. You experience a completely new sound experience. Sound at the touch of a button, especially for the sporty driver.

Comfort mode:
    Our exhaust flap control closes the exhaust flap permanently, so the flap exhaust is much quieter.

Included:

1x control unit with handmade high-quality wiring harness with Plug & Play connections
    1x noble, handy remote control
    Installation instructions (german)

SYSTEM PREMIUM

https://www.db-autoveredelung.de/premium-ford-elektrisch/

Our high-quality exhaust flap control “Premium” allows you to set 3 adjustable modes for your exhaust flap on the vehicle.

Sport mode:
    Our exhaust flap control opens the exhaust flap permanently and the flap exhaust ignites its full sound potential in all speed ranges. You experience a completely new sound experience. Sound at the touch of a button, especially for the sporty driver.

Automatic mode:
    Our exhaust flap control controls the exhaust flap 100% and original via the serial control of the vehicle.

Comfort mode:
    Our exhaust flap control closes the exhaust flap permanently, so the flap exhaust is much quieter.

Included:

1x control unit with handmade high-quality wiring harness with Plug & Play connections
    1x noble, handy remote control
    Installation instructions (german)

And here are some pictures.

RSDave
    Participant

UK - England

I would be interested in this as the only thing putting me off getting an exhaust is the loud cold starts at 5.30am. With this i could get 1 and not wake up the whole street

tommy306
    Participant

Germany

Unfortunately does not work as it should.

Had the controller installed, it comes at start always an error message “driving modes not available”.

The message will continue, but I do not know if the on-board computer saves it.

I have sent the controller back, is not acceptable to me with the error message.

If there is another manufacturer here in Germany, I will contact her next week, let’s see what he says.

I will report about it 🙂

s66anb
    Participant

UK - Scotland

I’d be interested in buying a valve I also start early in the morning and currently running a kms tornado system. I had the exhaust valve delete but soon got fed up with the car constantly being loud. I like the fact it can be adjusted so I can choose when I want more noise

tommy306
    Participant

Germany

@s66anb

Have now installed this system, it brings no error message, but is not exactly cheap with 299€.

http://asr-component.de/home/48-klappensteuerung-rx1.html

System has three modes:

1. Sport mode = flap open

2. Comfort mode = flap closed

3. Series mode.

The system can be set variably. (see picture)

Normally the cable is connected to the two plugs so that both plugs are outside. I let the cables separate 50cm, so I could pull the original cable into the interior and stow the box of the controller in the interior. The cable from the control to the flap I have then laid so that it looks like original.

I would like to help with further questions.

Regards Thomas

tommy306
    Participant

Germany

Here are the picures.

Brian Matthews
    Participant

USA

Hello.

I have two questions:

1. What are “gubbins”? I don’t think we have those here yet…
    2. Has anyone seen a cheaper solution? I want to be nice to my neighbors too, but not THAT nice…

elliot
    Participant

UK - England

gubbins
    ˈɡʌbɪnz/
    noun INFORMAL•BRITISH

miscellaneous items; paraphernalia.
    “all the latest films, books, and electronic gubbins”
    a gadget.
    noun: gubbins
    “a little gubbins he had made as a boy”

Hope that helps Brian. No idea on question 2 though.

FPM 375. MSD 350/380/400

DSC

Tractive Suspension 

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

I have an answer to question #2…

F**K your neighbors pal!! I only say that coz my neighbors are scumbags!! But even if I had nice neighbors (is this even the correct spelling of neighbours?? I don’t think so, think it’s spelled correctly now,) ie. bours??!!

Anyhoo, what is the massive problem with exhaust noise from the Mk3 Focus RS on start up???? It’s not that loud??

Unless your RS is parked up between 2 x massive tall concrete walls??

I’m currently running a Milltek 100 Cell Cat, full REMUS Non-resonated System (Cat-Back) and a Stage 2 map and I go out every morning tae warm up the Engine before I take off and it sounds ABSOLUTELY F**KEN fine!!

No offence to anybody that’s worried about their neighbours but SERIOUSLY!!!……. who gives a F**k and how on Earth is your car disturbing them??

Cheers, Marc.

MY/17, F/White, Forged Black Wheels, Recaro Shell Seats, Diamas SiRamik Glasscoat, H&R Anti-Roll Bars/15mm Spacers, EBC Turbo Brake Discs all round/Yellowstuff Brake Pads, Mountune Air Intake/Recirc Valve/SSC/Blue Turbo Hose Kit and Hard Pipe/Uprated Springs/Short Shifter/Rear Motor Mount/Crank Breather Plate, ETS Intercooler, Milltek 100 Cell Cat, Remus Wolf Inside Exhaust, Litchfield Stage 2 map via Cobb Accessport V3, DSC unit.

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

Courtesy of DanF1234 on a previous post –

Where from J9 performance parts on Facebook. They say NO warnings or errors displayed.

“The valve is a god send on a morning to turn the exhaust note down. It’s good as remembers the last position so I can drive in normal mode all the time with the valve open. When I pull on the drive I can reactive the valve closed and it is still closed when I start up on a morning then I can open it again at the the press of a button”.

“Very impressed with it”

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

danf1234
    Participant

UK - England

Yep I have the J9 valve and it’s fine. I paid £115 delivered.

I Velcroed my switch near the handbrake. Works a treat. I only use it on an early morning start. Rest of the time it is wide open.

First Ford in 20 years and loving every minute of it!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Exhaust Flap Control. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!