Mountune Sets Focus RS Quarter-Mile Record With Mid-11-Second Pass

Home Forums Performance General Mountune Sets Focus RS Quarter-Mile Record With Mid-11-Second Pass

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

Pushing engine development for the EcoBoost platform since its inception, Mountune has proven its ability to unlock big power from these turbo direct injection engines. As a result, many race teams around the world show up at the company’s front door looking for a competitive edge at the track, on that the company recently demonstrated with its own Focus RS at the drag strip.

When it was announced that the Focus RS was going to make its way Stateside, many of us knew it was only a matter of time before Mountune would become a household name in the North American hot hatch game. When a new flagship facility opened its doors in Southern California to serve the expanding US market, we cruised up to have our own daily driven Focus RS to benefit from that tuning prowess.

On June 20, 2018, conditions were favorable at Auto Club Dragway in Fontana, California, with the temperature hovering 86.5 degrees. Humidity was at 47 percent with the barometric pressure at 28.60 inches Hg.

Fast forward to summer 2018 and the Mountune facility in Carson, California, completely expanded the global footprint of the company with the large facility here in SoCal focusing on engine test and build capability, product engineering and distribution, and quality customer service including sales and installation for the hot hatch.

To show off that capability, the company keeps pushing performance product development for EcoBoost enthusiasts. So much so, that Mountune set the world record for the quickest quarter-mile e.t. for a Focus RS. The video above is yet another example of how well this hot hatch responds to performance upgrades.

11-Second Mountune Focus RS Mods

• Focus RS 2.3-liter, open-deck block w/ stock sleeves
    • Xtreme DI high-pressure fuel pump
    • Heavy-duty drive axles
    • KW DDC suspension upgrade
    • Mountune forged rods
    • Mountune forged pistons
    • Mountune/Daido tri-metal bearings
    • Mountune front-mount intercooler upgrade
    • Mountune high-performance short-block
    • Mountune MRX upgrade w/ Borg-Warner EFR 7163 turbo
    • Mountune rear motor mount
    • Mountune V2X cat-back exhaust
    • Quaife ATB differential
    • Radium Engineering port-injection kit
    • Radium Engineering fuel surge tank kit
    • Stock Ford head gasket
    • Stock crankshaft
    • Stock cylinder head and camshafts
    • Syvecs plug-in, standalone ECU
    • Xtreme Clutch ceramic twin-disc

On June 20, 2018, at Auto Club Dragway in Fontana, California, the tweaked all-wheel-drive hot hatch ripped off a pass of 11.413 seconds at 123.27 MPH to set the standard. But what makes this run so impressive is that record-setting run was achieved using Mountune’s own development Focus RS, which features a range of products that anyone can purchase to deliver similar results.

Did you notice that this record run was achieved using the stock Ford crankshaft, cylinder heads, and head gasket? A key to creating this mid-11-second performance was maximizing the direct-injection fuel flow with one of Xtreme DI’s high-pressure pumps, just like the one recently used on Hellion’s 1,194-horsepower Gen 3 Coyote.

If you take a quick look at the build list (see sidebar above), many of the upgrades that were installed on the record-setting vehicle are available for purchase on the company’s site. From air intakes to exhaust systems, Mountune has a full complement of Focus RS upgrades. For the entire lineup of products for Ford vehicles, you can visit the company’s official website.

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

It’s the USA Mountune.

NOT the wankers in the UK; that can’t even keep their stock availability up to date, so your able to purchase an item.

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

kr1s
    Participant

UK - England

Stock head gasket.

Ford must have given them a massive bung to keep that. Or say they did

Can we believe it ?

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

Theirs plenty of sub 12’s on YouTube, so with all probability I guess its real.

This one has a Time 11.77 sec

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

kr1s
    Participant

UK - England

The last one I can understand being fast. ‘Cos it’s white. ♥♥

bumble-b
    Participant

UK - England

Sounds OK to me. My best blast at Santa Pod was 13.6 in a stock Golf R. I’ll be at Ford Fest Santa Pod and hopefully I’ll get to run my stock Golf against a MK3 RS just for fun. Enjoy the video. Aren’t these Golfs awesome ✊

Every village needs an idiot.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

hope it doesnt come up against OLD TECHNOLOGY !! , like an 8 valve, single cam, NON TURBO, all IRON, 2.1 litre Cortina (Pinto) engine on twin webers!!  10.7  1/4 mile 2 wheel drive, and a big heavy driver called Andy Harris !

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

Anonymous
    Inactive

@White-rs2 – I’m not really a fan of swearing, I believe this is a family site.

bumble-b
    Participant

UK - England

@bda – It doesn’t really matter what you drive as long as you’re having fun and that sure looked like fun. I’m sure I had as much fun in my old rally Mk1 Cortina GT. Wonder what that would do it in? Never got twin webers still had the 28/36 twin choke downdraught one. Gave me a little buzz when the second choke opened! (oops showing my age here)

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

@kr1S yes thats what i thought, the white ones are the fastest!

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

yes bumble, the GT was a fine car, today though its going to be a 16 second car. When we used to tour in dads in mid 60s, he would have the odd burn up with Renault gordinis and some Simcas and the odd relatively sporty Poogeot, with me sat on a cushion in the front seat and with a single lap belt. happy days. no elf ‘n’ saffy back then.

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

bumble-b
    Participant

UK - England

My very first rally attempt. Note skinny tyres and no roll cage and my flared arches bent up with mole grips in readiness for my 6Js with Goodyear G800s! Finished up with quite a nice car built mainly from parts from the scrap yard.

cortina

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

@white-rs2: Sure, the quarter mile can be great fun for some. But I am not quite sure I understood the speed gain after the Mountune mods.

First, how do these figures compare to stock?

Second, if stock does 0-62 in 4.7 seconds this translates to an accelleration of about 0.6x g. Doesn’t that mean that after 11 seconds the speed should be 145 mph instead of 123? Of course, 30°C is not optimal for the intercooler, 5°C would be better. What am I missing?

Revo Stage 1 – JCR super low seating frame – Mishimoto gas pedal spacer – DSC sport controller

kr1s
    Participant

UK - England

Lotsa air resistance after 60

knocks back acceleration.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Frenk, stock Mk3s do low to mid 13 second quarters at about 112mph I think. The traction gets it to 40mph impressively quick, but after that, its weight and frontal area hinder real speed, its only really a 230bhp/tonne car after all. I hate seeing stockish sort of cars on the drag strip, they all look so painfully slow from the outside, especially once you have seen a few proper dragsters/funny cars or modified cars doing anything from 10secs down to 4 sec quarters, anything slower than 12 seconds is not good viewing!

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Mountune Sets Focus RS Quarter-Mile Record With Mid-11-Second Pass. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!