Pads and discs

Home Forums Performance Brakes Pads and discs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

AndyR1900
    Participant

UK - Scotland

This would have been asked a million times, but with the way things change in cost ect so quickly thought I’d ask.

time to change the front brakes as I’m starting to get that slight shudder when breaking.  I’m looking for something decent but not silly money as I really don’t drive the Rs hard, mean I like a fast drive but I don’t push it too much.

any recommendations I’ve looked around but I don’t want anything that’s going to warp or perform badly if that makes sense

kr1s
    Participant

UK - England

I’ve just renewed my front discs and pads only last Friday.

I’ll let you know how I get on with them.

kr1s
    Participant

UK - England

Make is “Rotor”

on offer in October for 89.99 the pair delivered

using with new genuine pads which cost a lot more!

Pauly Paul
    Participant

Andy you have a RS , if you could afford to buy one don’t compromise on cheapies , buy what they came with ok pads do give a lot of  brake dust , especially on the black alloys change them to yellow or blue theirs plenty out there ,as for drilled or grooved discs downside is premature brake rotor wear, short rotor life spam ,steering wheel vibrations , plus you can’t resurface Rotors . Just a suggestion good luck keep us all updated as to what path you choose . 👍👍

AndyR1900
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Thanks both for your replies, Paul I wasn’t really trying to cheap out, more I didn’t want to go spending extra on something that was more track oriented when it’s not something I intend on doing, do u mean changing the colour of the wheels?

Pauly Paul
    Participant

Sorry for confusion my friend what colour ALLOYS do you have at moment, as everyone to there own I’m on black alloys blue callipers standard speck for nitrous blue , lots of folks have changed alloys or just powder coated in different colours , I do think get the wheels right with the callipers and a nice set of bad boy brakes set the car up nicely. 👍👍

AndyR1900
    Participant

UK - Scotland

I agree mate, atm my alloys are the standard black, they are in need of a refurbishment so I do intend on changing from black

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Most people have upgraded to EBC (grooved etc) and yellow stuff pads.

Mine previously had mountune discs and ford pads which I thought were good enough.

I replaced mine just after lockdown and due to no EBC or mountune discs available I went with pumaspeed j hook discs and mountune pads. Discs were grey which I hate.

I read somewhere about having to warm up yellow stuff pads for better braking, what I’m not sure about is, if you have to do this all the time which I cba with. I keep imagining the one little stretch where I need to break hard and the pads aren’t up to temp and don’t stop me properly. Lots on here have this combo so they could answer this which could also help me decide.

It’s either EBC and yellow stuff pads or mountune discs and pads for me which I’ll be replacing Feb/march time

elliot
    Participant

UK - England

I went down the EBC & yellow pad route 5yrs ago with no issues.

FPM 375. MSD 350/380/400

DSC

Tractive Suspension 

al-b
    Participant

UK - England

I have found the standard ones bloody good but as I will be buying new dust shields and powdercoating them at work in NB as can’t stand my black wheels going brown I might upgrade at same time!

@Elliot
    are these what you have? With the yellow stuff pads are they good to go straight away or do they need warming up… if it’s the case they are as good as the standard RS ones when cold but then even better when warmed up that is fine by me 😎

EBC Floating Discs Mk3 Focus RS

Eibach Pumaspeed springs UK  – Mountune full Induction – delete valve plug – carbon knob – JCR seat lowering kit set @ 39mm – black nuts! Engine forged by FJRS – TCR front splitter V2 and side skirts – RS rallyflapz – Car serviced/maintained by GS Motorsport

elliot
    Participant

UK - England

@al-b

Non floating type and the yellow pads don’t need warming up. I find there is more ‘bite’ than the standard brakes. Same set-up on the rear as well. Wouldn’t know about the  dust issue, you’ve seen my motor covered in shite.

FPM 375. MSD 350/380/400

DSC

Tractive Suspension 

al-b
    Participant

UK - England

🤣🤣 cheers mate, yours looked cool and nice to know they performed as well

Upgrade on way in next few months!

Eibach Pumaspeed springs UK  – Mountune full Induction – delete valve plug – carbon knob – JCR seat lowering kit set @ 39mm – black nuts! Engine forged by FJRS – TCR front splitter V2 and side skirts – RS rallyflapz – Car serviced/maintained by GS Motorsport

AndyR1900
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Are standard brembo discs good, euro car parts have front for £92 on offer, then match them with ebc or uprated pads

elliot
    Participant

UK - England

Can’t see why not. Back in the good old days (40 yrs ago) we hardly ever had to change disc’s, they were made of better stuff.

FPM 375. MSD 350/380/400

DSC

Tractive Suspension 

AndyR1900
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Thanks Elliot, I’m hoping there just similar to the stock ones, unfortunately I don’t remember those goo old days as I’m too young haha

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Pads and discs. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!