Anybody into single malt?

Home Forums General Non RS Chat Anybody into single malt?

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author

OverRev
    Participant

UK - England

What can I say lads, you’re definitely in to your whiskey.

First of all I must admit to not being a connoisseur, I do enjoy the occasional wee tot of either the Glenfiddich 12 or 15 year old single malts though.

A question for you chaps, how do you enjoy your whiskey, for example, do you mix it down with water, if so, roughly what kind of percentage? this is only an example, I’ve no doubt that you’ve tried various mixtures along the way, I am looking for new ideas to try.

OK, I’ll kick off then, ermmm, right here goes,

One of the Glenfiddichs as stated above, pull cork, close eyes, and slowly take a whiff, (of the cork).

Look down to pour, (Oh sh-t, Where’s my glass).

Glass found, I am now generally looking to mix this 50/50 with water, ok, sometimes this can drift to 60/40, (obviously in favour of the whiskey).

For some reason the glass is always overfilled, surface tension keeping things balancing on the edge of the glass, a quick sip sorts that, Mmmm.

Now to the microwave, in she goes, not too long mind, I’ve had this glass a long time, as soon as it starts bubbling she’s ready.

Obviously, this sods hot, so go steady when retrieving, when safe, take a whiff, Oh yes, now that’s good, your now ready to slurp, (taste), beautiful.

I said that I wasn’t a connoisseur, but I do enjoy a tot of whiskey now and again, I only have a small glass, and so a whole bottle can last me a couple of nights, (just joking).

Honestly, this is the way I enjoy my wee tot.

Your turn guys, how do you enjoy your nectar.

irelmo
    Participant

UK - England

Wow overrev that sounds more like a hot toddy!

For me maybe a tablespoon for a double but it depends on the alcohol % I will mix with water occasionally but will try without first especially if it’s new to me. Never tap water though! Preferably highland spring or similar. The mix is personal and mostly I drink neat but with cask strength 64% ish it neads water to bring it down to the 40% mark or your preferred level and that is all that will happen in the distilary anyway.

Biggest thing is that you don’t just water it down without tasting first. It’s like getting a beautifully prepared meal in a swanky restaurant and putting salt and pepper on before you’ve tasted it. OrĀ  buying a brand new car and modifying it before even test driving..

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

For me, I open the bottle pour a measure into a glass and drink in nips ?

Honorary Member

DaveRS3
    Participant

United Kingdom

Whilst I am aware that a dash of water is the done thing I much prefer to ride bareback. Straight up to warm the cockles so to speak. I always drink whisky in a nosing glass.

I do like a dram now and again whisky is not may favourite drink. Ive mentioned Palinka on here before and over the last 20 years since ive been visiting Hungary regularly, its become my favourite but it MUST be homemade which is very common in Hungary. Its a beautiful drink that blows your head off (real homemade Palinka is always between 48 and 52%).

If anyone ever gets the chance (or wants to pop in to mine) to have some real Palinka, take it!. Its the best booze on the world IMO (ive been round it twice trying as much as I can).

Palinka also has a special glass too and its similar to a Grappa glass.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Anybody into single malt?. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!