*Engine Failure – possible cause*

Home Forums Performance Engine *Engine Failure – possible cause*

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 106 total)
  • Author

Philb65
    Participant

UK - England

Total crap mate, really feel for you. Due to get my car Sept but I’m having serious second thoughts at the minute. I know other cars have issues but these engine problems are becoming alarming. What happens when production stops? Engine availability? I really want an RS but this is testing me. Hope it gets sorted for you to your satisfaction, Ford need to step up and sort this properly.

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

I wouldn’t worry

your getting a much later built engine, buy the extended warranty before it’s registered, i.e. Get it on the sales invoice.

run it in and enjoy it… if any thing happens in 5 years Ford will fix it.

My dealer who sees a lot of Mk3’s, reckon least one a day, has only had one engine to replace, that may have been for other issues.

We are only more aware because it’s a fan boy car with forums, normal cars have issue but don’t get the attention.

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

Philb65
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks 9designs, I know you are right. Already got the 5 year warranty in place! They need to do the closed deck mod, at least that would be one major thing out of the equation. Will more than likely go through with the order but all this talk does make me jittery!

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

All Ford can do is fix the current production, which I assume they have done by now, then support warranty, which I here there isn’t any question over, well not on a standard un-modded engine. (Get the 375 kit though, make it a great car).    Know way  they would or could  recall all cars and fit a new engine.

I’m told the engine is quite a simple and easy swap out.

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

Philb65
    Participant

UK - England

Already got the 375 kit on order and waiting for a price for lowering springs. There have been that many failures now they must know the cause of the problem. It would be better on their part to hold their hands up, say what the issue is and make an appropriate fix. Maybe not going to happen but hopefully.  I get your total recall point. No other car floats my boat at the moment for the price but I don’t want to end up with a worthless lemon. I’m sure it won’t be the case but please ford…sort it out!

jb
    Participant

UK - England

Paul, which dealer are you using ?

ianrs
    Participant

UK - England

the dreaded weak casting! Sort it out Mr ford

CaRSrus
    Participant

UK - Scotland

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Great diagram ianrs.  Easy enough to ‘beef-up’ the casting I would have thought? Not so easy to retrofit into 1000’s of cars though #££££££££.</p>

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

@Ianrs

Good detail & information cheers 🙂

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

racermike
    Participant

United Kingdom

Mine’s with the dealer now since Monday. Road and then compression test to be carried out today/tonight and then data sent to Ford tomorrow. Anyone want to take bets how long I’ll have the hire car from Ford for?!

o1turbo30v
    Participant

USA

@racermike, if the UK has the same parts source as the US, I’d say 4-6 weeks.

racermike
    Participant

United Kingdom

@o1turbo30v Confirmed last week that there’s a new engine arriving on Monday. Should hopefully have it back end of next week

400andrising
    Participant

UK - England

*If* Ford have fixed the problem it surprises me they’re not shouting it from the rooftops, which suggests maybe they still haven’t?

Plenty it rumours in the mill, but it appears that only now are Ford sticking their heads above water to volunteer that it even exists following the Autocar article.

I note that prices do appear to be dropping to reflect this but as long as you have your GFV when you come to the end of your lease I guess you might be okay (as long as your warranty covers you for that long too); just feel sorry for those who bought the car outright as there appears to be no guarantee on how long we can expect the replacement engines to last – it’s still too early to tell. Like I said though I’d have expected a full explanation and fix report from Ford if they really knew what the issue was and how to resolve it…all very odd 🙁

jonno71
    Participant

UK - England

Trouble is if they admit what the fault was it opens them up to claims up to that date, possibly beyond warranty as they acknowledge a defect in design or manufacture if they just keep in fixing them in waranty but remain silent its better for them as not admitting anything and the onus is on the  buyer ro prove the defect. It would be nice to know if they believed they were fixed though.

Nick Coombes
    Participant

UK - England

Worried about mine as I only have a 3 year warenty and the car will only be doing around 3000 miles a year

I’m guessing if it’s going to fail it will do in this time scale (9000 miles)

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 106 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to *Engine Failure – possible cause*. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!