Forged engine

Home Forums Performance Engine Forged engine

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

robroy
    Participant

UK - England

Im now looking in to getting prices for a forged engine build, I have had 1 quote based on either Manley rods or wiseco rods and pistons , Manley being around £500 cheaper, any one in the know who can tell me if there’s much difference between them ?

1234enough
    Participant

UK - England

Horses for courses, manley do rods rated at 500hp or ones at 1000hp, depends on what you want to achieve and how many£££££ , best to ask u engine builder.

I’m sure most would agree, the best bits in a poor build are worse than far cheaper bits in an excellent build.

The question you need answering is , engine builder recommendations.

Keep us updated whoever you go with, as information is all good👍

robroy
    Participant

UK - England

@1234enough

I just received an email back from Manley ,they said rods rated to 600 and pistons to 500 bhp flywheel ,  I would be looking at devils conversion eventually so around 500 to 530 bhp. Manley said they will be fine but if anymore like 550 above there better range would be better suited, I’m thinking out of the two wiseco might be the better option, waiting to hear from them and get a quote from devils

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

I did do a reply but it disappeared as i inserted a link…. have a look at speed performance killing it with their builds, more or less the same spec as mine… I’ve ordered a load from them. They even do a full kit. Click here you can select all the drop downs to customise kit.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by GM.

robroy
    Participant

UK - England

@gm

Thanks for that,  although I’m not planning on buying separately,  I want to drop off the car and collect when it’s done 🤣

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

@Robroy

Ive used Devils 3 times in 3 years none of it rectification work all new engine work each time.

I have to say I’ve not had an issue with Devils engine work. Personally I like a margin of over build anything from a minimum of 15% to a max of 25% in my engines so if I wanted a 600bbp build, I’d spec it up for an 700-800bhp build.

As you go along the route from DD530 you may want to add in the future Methanol injection or 285 cams or a stage 1,2 or 3 head or make a stroker to a 2.5ltr etc etc

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

Might be worth trying to contact this guy doing the same as you

Forged at Devil Developments

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

robroy
    Participant

UK - England

@white-rs2

Yeah I have been checking the bhp ratings of the rods and pistons , I have emailed a few  companies….. mahle pistons said they have cars running 700 /800 bhp , rod wise bridgeway seem to be good or another level up wiseco boostline .

Had a quote from devils and its the same as Richards on here £3900 same spec as his which to be honest will most likely be fine

You can’t private message people on this site most annoying 🙄

Brian C
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Got to agree with the above comments about Devil Developments. My car is with them just now for a full engine rebuild and I can’t speak highly enough of them. Very helpful, honest and in my option very reasonably priced considering there knowledge and experience. Almost 1000 mile trip for me but worth it lol. Hopefully get my car back in the next couple of weeks.

robroy
    Participant

UK - England

@Brian C

What spec you having done ?

Brian C
    Participant

UK - Scotland

I went for the MSD 530. But Devil’s have put the 2 litre block with oversized pistons in it and also using a ported head with larger diameter valves and piper cams.
    I did originally forge the engine myself but couldn’t get it to run probably, finally swallowed my pride and gave it down to Devil Developments. When I built the engine I used Woosner pistons which Devils told me was the cause of my running problems as the had SHRUNK. Seemed crazy to me as they had only done at most 300 miles. Seemingly this is a common fault with Woosner pistons abs was told I’d be wasting my time complaining to the manufacturer. But Devils have been great to deal with and would highly recommend them.

robroy
    Participant

UK - England

@Brian C

Which rods and pistons ?

grunty-motor
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Shrunk Pistons??? Never heard the like!

Brian C
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Not sure what rods and pistons they have used, once I get it back I could tell you.

I’ve never heard of pistons shrinking either.  The only thing I can tell you is that once I built the engine myself i plumbed the actuator incorrectly and over boosted the engine and I didn’t run the engine in enough due to an Audi S5 trying to noise me up lol.

Devils are running it in for me at the moment due to it being a pain for me to go down collect the car run it in then take it back.

Can’t wait to get it back as this rebuild has bring going on from Christmas, though Devils have only had it just over a month. Hopefully it makes over the 530 bhp mark due to fitting the stage 3 head and oversized pistons.

robroy
    Participant

UK - England

Sounds good Bryan , be a great drive home !!!

I drove a demo focus rs  car with 500 plus it was such a buzz , I need to get there now 😁

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Forged engine. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!