How long before we get some decent dampers

Home Forums Performance Handling How long before we get some decent dampers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

Okay,  I’ll defend the RS/Ford on many fronts but the damper settings are crap.  Perhaps because it was a “World” car somewhere they tested had nice smooth roads but it’s crap in the UK.   We got blessed with two stage switchable dampers and it’s rubbish.   I’d wager the RS would be a lot quicker down a B road with more complacence, as well as being more comfortable on a journey.

I constantly read (forums) how my Z4 (E85)  has terrible harsh ride and needs upgraded setup etc…  BUT it’s actually more comfortable and compliant than the RS !!!    If you’re lucky enough to find a smooth UK road then sure it’s tolerable, just I haven’t found many!

What I want is to keep the switchable damper for normal and sport, but both needs to be softer or more forgiving.     I thought Bilstien were bringing out a kit?   Still can’t find any news or details on it.

Who was the supplier for the OE parts?    Perhaps they could re-valve a set?

The car has huge potential from the factory just they missed by a few percent from being spot on.   It should of been mapped like the 375,  short shift kit as standard and better damper settings for UK etc.   I’ve fixed two of the three, just the dampers to solve. Then I expect the LSD will be even more effective, so make that 4 issues to fix  😉

Ford in my view are very slow on catching on to after market reworks or specials.  They could have developed and endorsed more stuff and we as loyal suckers for the stuff would have queued up for it.  (I mean JLR has built a whole department and site for SVO specials and makes packet on it).

Remember the Works X packs for the old RS2000’s ….  back in the day 😉

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

blechdosenbill
    Participant

Germany

Some KW DDC coilovers should do  the Trick.

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

Ah found them….  £2500  + fitting ……   ouch     Are they the only ones so far?

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

o1turbo30v
    Participant

USA

OE damper supplier is Tenneco, there are many coilovers available,  some keep the factory 2 position dampening some get rid of it, personally i will be going with the H&R Street Coilovers (fixed damping, part number 28746-1) .  No one at this time makes just dampers that will allow you to re-use your stock springs.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150916005155/en/Tenneco-Introduces-New-Adaptive-Damping-Technology-Ford

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Ford just cant win can they? theres truth in the saying ” you can please some of the people some of the time but not all the people all of the time” IF ford had made the std damper setting softer for you old softies, then you can bet your bottom dollar all the reviews and forums would be saying ” yeah well, its too soft in std damper setting for spirited driving on the road and the car pitches and rolls like an old Renault,the turn-in response is slow unlike a Golf Or TypeR , and the track setting is too hard for the road”  Its all about compromise, and to me they have it right. Its a heavy car and needs to be held up on stiff dampers and springs or it will roll the sidewalls off the tyres in no time. A few years and a few miles under its belt and I bet the dampers and suspension generally will loosen up a bit. I’m sure mine looks lower all round now than it did with 7 miles on the clock. Go ahead put your soft dampers and springs in, just don’t go and do a track day afterwards though as you will be kicking yourself as you end up with a rolly polly floaty boat. Why not deflate your tyres to 36F and 32 R for a softer ride? Mines lovely with 38F and 36R. I even tried hard damper mode down the M3 and thoroughly enjoyed it!

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

Well after nearly 9000 miles they haven’t softened off yet.  I thought your stays in the garage wrapped in cotton wool as an investment so how would you know what it’s like?

Smooth motorway you’d not notice, obviously….

You do actually talk a lot of crap mate, I never said I wanted some soft spongy ride, it has two stage dampers even the sport setting it has been reported are to much and pogo like on a track.  The settings should be set to cope with both situations better, road and track.

It needs some compliance to absorb our bad roads, to keep the tyres on the ground and the car online and not pitched about, in my view it’s just the wrong side of being right.  Perhaps better grade and less harsh with the same rate, more progressive?   Tyres are set correctly for 1-2 passengers, as per the plate on the B pillar.

I’d rather keep to a switchable set up then go single setting fixed rate damper.

Kenny
    Keymaster

UK - Scotland

Bilstein will come out with a set but they are quite slow but I think it will be worth it.

I drive a lot of B-roads and the suspension could definitely do with a ‘softer’ setting. There are a few other kits on the market; Litchfield, Whiteline, JRZ. I think a good quality set will cost £2000+

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

You really want to stay well clear of any form of progressive springs. As you really don’t want a 2000+kgs car starting to roll, as once it starts it’s really ain’t going to stop.

Linear rate springs are much more preferable for better handling.

But I’m with you on the damper issue, when are the likes of say KONI or Bilstien going to produce a decent setup to work with what Ford designed and enable the use of normal, sport and track.

🙂

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

Haha knew it had to be in the blurb somewhere “Dual Mode offers an enhanced ride experience at minimal system cost,”    Good old Ford done on the cheap.  So basically Monroe dampers with a simple switched valve.    Interested to see what the Bilstein option will be/cost.

KW DDC set ups on VAG cars seems to be quite a bit cheaper,  another fleece the RS owner opportunity.

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

The Litchfield site is saying all the right things….

http://www.litchfieldimports. co.uk/Ford/KW-Suspension

trakg
    Participant

Greece

I’m still waiting for a set that doesnt lower the car too much like almost all the existing coilovers do. Found Tractive suspension which seems to be what I’m looking for. They work with the DSC sport module. They must be very $$$$$$ though. The kit for the bmw m4 is around 4.000€.  Α cheaper alternative would be to buy the DSC module which is compatible with the oem suspension.

trakg
    Participant

Greece

Edit: The kit for the m3 is around 5.000€

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

@ trakg.. probably cheaper to get a nice big square of sponge to sit on for more comfort!

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

trakg
    Participant

Greece

Don’t disagree mate. Waiting for pricing though. I will post info

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

@trakg

I’m concerned that you think coil overs lower the car two much, why ?

The idea of the coilover is to, well make more room for a big fat wheel and tyre. Then the coilover was born, once developed it’s infinitely adjustable in height poundage etc. So if you think it sits two low use two spring on each leg with for arguments sake a 400 & 500 lbs springs <span style=”-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);”>like this one</span>

Or use a short lifter spring like this one, either way with coil overs heights and adjustability are at your feet you just need to know what you want, before you start.

STANDARD OEM TYPE SPRINGS

These come in Minus 20mm Front & Back from H&R and Eibach, Minus 15mm F&R Mountune USA, another option Minus 10mm F and Minus 15mm R Mountune UK and I think Whiteline are Minus 25mm But can’t remember to be honest on that one.

So from just standard compatible springs you have plenty of choice on loss of height, from the minimum to a tad more than the minimum 🙂

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to How long before we get some decent dampers. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!