Lowered Seat Rails

Home Forums Styling Interior Styling Lowered Seat Rails

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 534 total)
  • Author

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

Still waiting to read what testing, certification and conformance was done and what affect it has on your insurance, is it an insurable mod?  Has anyone declared it?  Don’t doubt a drop in height is very desirable, but not as much as my safety and legality of my car and insurance.

If anyone has some 2017MY parts they would like to flog I could drop my 2016 height by around 11-15mm it seems with OE parts.

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

racermike
    Participant

United Kingdom

@9designs Having looked at the 17my seats you won’t be able to lower yours. The drop is in the side frame and not in the runners. And it’s barely noticeable to sit in. Also, are you not concerned that the hip point is 15mm lower than it was certified at? I mean, it must be within tolerance, but surely you must be concerned that the crash performance is different?

I assume you’ll be asking Ford for the results of the sled test they must have done to ensure you’re happy? Would you not be concerned ther the change in position may change the load on the 4 M6 bolts that hold the seat to the base? Will you also be asking Recaro to prove that the base passes the testing? And will you be retrofitting the side airbag the CS seat doesn’t come with? I assume you declared to your insurance that you optioned the CS seat which lacks the side airbag the standard seats have?

Pratty10
    Participant

UK - England

Hi all,

I have ordered a drivers side kit, I am awaiting for confirmation of the delivery date.

In the meantime what tools will I need to complete the job…. I presume a socket set, but what size and with what sockets? Also what size is the wrench and does it need to be a torque wrench?

Thanks in advance for any help.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

@ racer mike.. nice one !

@ Pratty10.. here you go son !!… Tooltime.

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

Funny how asking a simple question prompts defensive, evasive type responses.

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

Pratty10
    Participant

UK - England

@mikeparker thanks mate.

Might have to spend a few more quid.

Pratty10
    Participant

UK - England

One more question…. What size torque wrench do I need?

Apologies if that is a stupid question…. I am learning believe it or not, just very slowly.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

@ pratty, maybe get one that will comfortably torque the wheel nuts too, I believe they are set to 100ft/lbs or whatever the metric equiv is, or maybe  just borrow one to do the seat rails up if you are never going to use one again.

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

@ 9designs, your post “Still waiting to read what testing, certification and conformance was done and what affect it has on your insurance, is it an insurable mod? Has anyone declared it? Don’t doubt a drop in height is very desirable, but not as much as my safety and legality of my car and insurance.”

is just beyond most normal car bloke’s worries and far too anal for most folk, the rails are proper recaro rails, the kit is well made, life is short, you either sit high and feel superior with legal concerns or you get on and just do it. I mean, REALLY ??

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

crunchie
    Participant

UK - England

I too went for the 7.5 degree rake. Nice and snug now !!! lol

racermike
    Participant

United Kingdom

@9designs I thought you’d actually ducked out of this one a long time ago, but you’ve come back again to try and stir the pot.

Let’s not beat around the bush. You’re an engineer, you like to try and point out the issues with other peoples ideas and you’re perhaps a bit miffed you didn’t think of the idea first or, you don’t like the idea of someone else working on something you do for a living. You’ve freely admitted you work as a consultant and specifically work in seating design, so I’m not really sure what you expect? You know the work involved in designing something, and despite you claiming ignorance on things like the Goodridge brake lines, you know as well as I do that they wouldn’t pass and OEM sign off test for any number of reasons.

You’re clearly being pedantic, hence my pedantic reply. Literally any modification you do to your car will invalidate some part of your warranty and you know that, and yet you’re still happy to replace your brake lines. Did you for instance re-measure the installed hydraulic brake characteristic once you changed the brake lines? I assume you realise that changing the stiffness of the brake lines means that the relationship between brake master cylinder and brake caliper is now changed which means that the mathematical models within the ABS modulator are now incorrect. I’ve done a lot of work calibrating ABS systems, and changing the hydraulic characteristic of the brakes makes a huge difference. The amount of brake pressure demanded by the ABS is entirely reliant on it knowing the resultant pressure in the caliper (and hence requested wheel torque), and if you’ve changed this relationship, the target pressure will be totally incorrect as the system is closed loop. There are no pressure sensors in the calipers. There’s a very real possibility that with your alteration to the brake lines, the stability of the car will be greatly affected in marginal conditions such as split mu braking. Are you confident that you can catch a yaw rate of 25deg/s when you’re not expecting it? I can tell you that the difference between a slightly sketchy moment braking with one wheel on black ice and a huge accident where you spin instantly 3 times in the middle of the road on the same black ice can be the difference between 5-10bar or a few ms. So, as I said, if you’re that worried about ‘dangerous’ modifications to your car and you haven’t got the RS development ABS software, a Continental Taves development ECU and a hydraulic characterisation rig (I think they’re about £200,000), then I guess you’ll be switching back to the OEM lines? Thought not….

Ultimately, some common sense has to be used with modifications, and being an engineer, you’re able to make an informed decision as to what is safe and what is not. I would always think twice about fitting non standard brake pads or brake lines, but would chose to do so if I felt the benefit outweighed any perceived ‘risk’. If you don’t feel that these seat frames pass this test for you, then don’t buy them. No one is holding a gun to your head. However, I think it’s clear to everyone here that you’re coming across as a slightly ‘holier than tho’ individual with no other intention than to try and smugly demonstrate your experience and knowledge. I’m not going to bother defending Jonny any more on this, but understand that we’re not all idiots on here, and you’re not the only one who has a Masters in Engineering…

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

dator
    Participant

United Kingdom

@9designs I have actually declared this mod as “lowered seat frame for the driver”. It didn’t affect my premium and I am with SKY insurance.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Even Mr Howsey approves !

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

oz Amir
    Participant

Australia

Hi, I went onto the website and appears only a set can be ordered? Is it possible to order only the drivers side seat rails for an AUS spec car?

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 534 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Lowered Seat Rails. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!