Exhaust flap modifation

Home Forums Performance Exhaust Exhaust flap modifation

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 123 total)
  • Author

rslucky
    Participant

UK - England

Mine arrived yesterday and fitted. As said before, really easy to fit.

I haven’t driven the car to much since, so cant really comment yet, but it does seem a bit deeper at slow speeds.

Interestingly though, this morning I noticed whilst reversing out of my garage, it was making its usually growly noise on cold start but after the 10 seconds or so that the flap usually shuts, it still quietened down a lot (the flap stayed open – I checked!), so it makes me wonder if there is something else to do with the exhaust/map that quietens it down at certain points (i.e when the flap is usually shut), other then the flap itself.

soren
    Participant

UK - England

Got mine a couple of days ago, did you just take old one out and plug new one in fella

rsdom
    Participant

UK - Wales

I found exactly the same thing when I fitted mine, I too hoped that same deep growl would stay across all revs that you get from cold.

After a few days I couldn’t really notice any real difference except for more pops and bangs which are great but I prefer being able to switch (Normal/Sport)

Is there another flap in the exhaust maybe by the cat that opens under hard acceleration?

rslucky
    Participant

UK - England

A bit of an update.

Tonight, coming home from work, i put it in sport mode and had a series of little blasts. Definately more raspy in sport and more noticable than in normal mode. Much better lol.

adw
    Participant

UK - England

Fitted this last week. Tbh unless I’m going deaf, the difference is not night and day, but there is a slight difference at idle and light loads. Blasting around I don’t notice much difference.

Plus I think my tune has removed ‘normal’ mode.

Mods:

AccessPort / Stratified tune + STuned extended pops & bangs + custom pop and bang intensity / Boomba Racing short throw plate / DMB inlays / Mountune air filter / Mountune RMM / Mountune Recirc / Milltek Non Res Cat Back

kaney1980
    Participant

UK - England

Am I missing something? I got the kit and it doesn’t fit my car? Mine is Sept 2016 build with Mountune V1 axle back exhaust.

MY2017 | Frozen White | SYNC3

Recaro CS | Sunroof | Luxury Pack | Forged Alloys | Door Protectors

Mountune M400 | Mountune Short-Shifter | Eibach Pro Spring Kit & 15mm Spacers | JCR Super-Low Driver’s Seat Frame

crunchie
    Participant

UK - England

If you look on the other forum there is a similar post with a resolving post.

adw
    Participant

UK - England

Looks like the cap for the other connection on the valve  (to keep it protected)

Mods:

AccessPort / Stratified tune + STuned extended pops & bangs + custom pop and bang intensity / Boomba Racing short throw plate / DMB inlays / Mountune air filter / Mountune RMM / Mountune Recirc / Milltek Non Res Cat Back

mah
    Participant

Denmark

Hi – Assuming you dont like the pops and the bangs, this ting from ebay can also keep the exhaust closed, without performance loss?

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

As ADW I think you have the second part to seal the unused end, you also need the this

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

stan916
    Participant

UK - England

I have just made my own bit of kit to open and close the flap manually using a rotary pot. It uses a stepper motor to replace the standard electric actuator (the black plastic thing on the LH side of the tailpipe) and a couple of off-the-shelf circuit boards and I can have the valve in any position I want by turning a knob.

I have a KMS Tornado system on my car which I found to be too loud on cold start up (at 6am in the morning, thinking about neighbours) and cruising at speed on the motorway so I wanted to be able to control the flap position manually and I didn’t want to spend over £200 on the kit that is available for sale, which only has the valve fully open and fully shut anyway and I wanted complete control.

I haven’t worked out the exact costs but I’m guessing it cost me about £100 overall and I have now learned a few things about stepper motors and programming boards (I have used an Arduino Micro and an EasyDrive stepper motor controller, you can find out about these by Googling them), which I will use on other projects. Happy to share more details if anyone is interested.

This of course bypasses the std wiring, so you do need the valve delete plug as well, though I’ve checked this and as far as I can see it’s only a resistor so it’s easy to do it yourself and save money on the plugs that are for sale.

stan916
    Participant

UK - England

I’m sure there is another device, probably an idle bypass valve somewhere on the intake manifold, that allows more air through on cold start up for a few seconds. This may be something to do with catalyst light up, don’t know, but for sure it does something other than what you can see with the exhaust flap. Either way it makes the exhaust sound really nice on cold starts, wish it did it all the time!

vaultboydan
    Participant

UK - England

Got mine on the way, how do you actually force the flap to stay open? I know the valve code delete will stop the error code but I’m not sure how to mechanically keep the valve open!

red-leader
    Participant

UK - England

Start the car, select sport mode, check valve is open, take the connector off the exhaust valve, stop the engine, push on the terminator to socket on the cable harness, plug in the cover to the exhaust valve, cable tie the cable harness up above the exhaust. Job down in a few minutes.

vaultboydan
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks Red, will let you know how I get on when it arrives!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 123 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Exhaust flap modifation. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!