Octane Adjust Ratio and msd map

Home Forums Performance Electronics/ECU Octane Adjust Ratio and msd map

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • Author

Attila
    Participant

Hungary

@chris-rs380

It worked exactly as you wrote. OAR is -1.0 now. Thanks for the suggestion.

If I fed worse fuel, will the OAR go up on its own? If the OAR stays at -0.1, does that mean the fuel is adequate?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Attila.

robroy
    Participant

UK - England

@chris-rs380

I will give it a go to see if it works , but does seem odd that I have good fuel in the tank , firstly vpower now tesco 99

chris-rs380
    Participant

UK - England

@Atilla @robroy

Poor fuel would make the ECU pull things back quickly. Iโ€™d assume the OAR would start to head towards positive as it sensed rubbish fuel. If OAR stays at -1.0 youโ€™re good!

I have Tesco 99 and Shell 99 on my doorstep and always ran Tesco 99 as it is much cheaper. During tuning my car I asked Stu which fuel is best and he said Shell 99 every time for more consistent results and quality, so on his advice I always use V-power 99 now.

Stu from MSD explains things far better than I ever could so give him a call.

chris-rs380
    Participant

UK - England

https://www.motorsport-developments.co.uk/Understanding_Ford_Ecoboost_Knock_Detection.html

OAR is mentioned in this blog of Stuโ€™s.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by chris-rs380.

robroy
    Participant

UK - England

chris-rs380

Wow it went to 0.98 just on a straight bit of road then finished it off up a hill , changed almost straight away, I have read Stewarts Sanderson blog before, how did you know about this little trick ???

Thanks for the tip , I will run it abit first just in case , then get some logs done ๐Ÿ‘Œ

crocket81
    Participant

UK - England

I data logged my MSD multimaps the other day and mine was sitting perfectly on -1.00, I always use 99 octane(v power or momentum) just currently trying the esso synergy +, seems to be better on fuel and the same price as momentum, winner winner๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

Jonathan Walmsley
    Participant

UK - England

Im having the exact same issue with MSD420 multi maps. I’ve just reset my ecu learning today. And will keep trying. The best I’ve had is -0.90 and i always use shell vpower. I’ve just read the post from msd. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks Jonathan.

robroy
    Participant

UK - England

@Jonathan walmsley

Do what Chris-rs380 said it works straight away up to 1.00 and mine stays there

Jonathan Walmsley
    Participant

UK - England

I’ll try tomorrow thanks. Just find it so strange as i must of done nearly a 1000 miles before today’s reset. Now done around 50 miles and it’s still at the 0.80 start point. Had you done a lot of miles before trying this?? @robroy

robroy
    Participant

UK - England

@jonathon walmsley
    I had done a fair few and it wasn’t budging , I always use 99 fuel so it was annoying , I since have had my first map update from msd

Jonathan Walmsley
    Participant

UK - England

Yeah i always use v power. Did you get much change/difference from your update mate?? @robroy

Jonathan Walmsley
    Participant

UK - England

Well that worked a treat OAR now atรท01.00. Cheers for the help @robroy ๐Ÿ‘

robroy
    Participant

UK - England

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Š

richard31337
    Participant

UK - England

Hi chaps

Older thread I know, but I’ve recently gone to MSD420 and multimaps and have been working with Stewart on my data logs and tuning. I also have Turbosmart 50/50 CBV and NGK one step colder spark plugs.

My OAR seemed to be sticking at -0.80 and only recently moved to -0.85. We think there may be a leak between solenoid and CBV, but I will be looking at this more soon. It is possibly a few psi as TIP desired and TIP actual are different by around 2-3 psi… plus WGDC looks a little off.

I have tried long 3 psi pulls up hill as Stewart suggested, although I am now going to try this in 5th/60th gear as suggested by @gixxerboy since I was in 3rd/4th last time I tried this ๐Ÿ™‚

If you’re interested, I did this 2nd gear pull in 380ps map slot purely to check my knock vs ignition correction per cylinder as I was concerned about ghost knock when viewing some earlier data. However, I have left these off this graph as there was no knock and ECU advanced all cylinders just fine.

I am really loving data logging on the Cobb, it really is an amazing tool and how ECU’s work is such an interesting field. Stewart at MSD has written a number of blogs on the Ecoboost ECU, specifically on the RS mk3 if you are interested in further reading. Fascinating stuff!

Cheers

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by richard31337.

richard31337
    Participant

UK - England

That will teach me to read page one and assume it was the only page of a thread ๐Ÿ™‚ anyway, Stu’s blog already mentioned earlier I see, and what a great read these are.

I am going to try and get my OAR to -1.00 this weekend as I see others had success with the advice given. Hopefully the 5th/6th gear method at 3 psi will work for me too.

Thanks chaps!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Octane Adjust Ratio and msd map. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!