Putting a RS back on the road

Home Forums General Members’ Cars Putting a RS back on the road

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author

Josh29155
    Participant

USA

So about a month ago, my father and I purchased a 2017 RS2 in Shadow Black with only 365 miles on it off of an insurance auction. The car was sitting on a dealership lot when a hurricane came through and flooded the town and dealership. The car went up for action in January in perfect condition but we didn’t bid on it. Unfortunately, someone bought the car and wrecked it and put it on another auction site. When we got her, the entire ‎driver’s side of the car was pretty bad. The rear quarter panel was pushed in 6 inches or so.

Weve had the quarter panel pulled out and cut the outside skin off and are waiting for a new quarter skin to come in. I decided to take one out of Bobcats book and get some of the blue RS logos for the wing. Hopefully we’ll have her back on the road before the end of June. It’s unfortunate that I won’t be able to put full coverage insurance on it but it’s better than going to the scrapper. 

grunty-motor
    Participant

UK - Scotland

perfect opportunity to paint it a decent colour……….only joking! Good luck!

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@josh, thanks for the mention ? hope you get it sorted and it will be as good as new. Please keep us updated.

Honorary Member

Josh29155
    Participant

USA

Thanks, I’ll keep pictures coming as I take them.

Josh29155
    Participant

USA

We got the quarter panel off, it took some time and cutting but it came off easily without anything else being damaged. All of the parts we needed came in other than the rear door. The front door has a dent in it (Mind you, we ordered everything from Ford at the dealership). So now we’re at a road block because we can’t put the new quarter panel on until we have the doors so we can line the body lines up. So now I’m waiting on the doors to come in.

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@josh, thanks for the update ? looks like steady progress ?

Honorary Member

Josh29155
    Participant

USA

We got the quarter panel on (only clamped in place) along with the new door. It appears the C pillar is pushed into the car so we’re going to have to push it out to get the quarter to fit snugly. I’m hoping to have the quarter welded by the weekend. It’s slowly getting there!

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@josh, thanks for the update looking good already ?hope the weekend goes well ?

Honorary Member

Josh29155
    Participant

USA

@bobcat Thanks! The new quarter panel really makes a huge difference!

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@josh, have you got to repair the rear wheel or is it just muddy?

Honorary Member

red-leader
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks for the updates @Josh, very interesting to see how you are progressing.

Josh29155
    Participant

USA

Unfortunately, both of the driver’s side wheels were damaged pretty badly when they wrecked the car before we got it.

Font:Rear:

I’ve been thinking about buying a new set of 18×8.5 rims so I can have a taller sidewall and get rid of some of the smaller bumps in the road. I’ve heard a few different people say that it helps with the roughness of the ride. The tires that came with the car are the pilot sport cup 2’s so I was thinking about keeping them on the rims and if I ever decide to go out for a track day with some friends I could just put them in the back and change them when I get there.

I’m not sure how much it would cost to have them sent off and resurfaced but I think it would be quite alot since the coating on the wheels is quite thick.

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@josh, here in the U.K. it costs around £50 / $64 approx per wheel to refurbish. There’s are a couple of Canadian members on here who if my memory serves me correctly have gone down the 18×8.5 road.

Honorary Member

Josh29155
    Participant

USA

Oh wow, I thought it would be alot more than that. I need to find places around me that would give me a quote. I’m not in a hurry though because we are going to wait to have them redone since we will be moving the car around while we are working on it. Thanks for all the replies guys!

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@josh, something to think about for the future (if you’re interested) to reduce some of the spray over the back of the car

Mud Flap part number part No F1798977

Honorary Member

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Putting a RS back on the road. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!