Yaris GR Road Test.

Home Forums General Non RS Chat Yaris GR Road Test.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 101 total)
  • Author

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Hi all of my fellow RS owners. Today I test drove the new Toyota GR Yaris car tested was Precious Black circuit pack car, at the start of the test 15miles on clock so brand new car.

No car is 100% right in every way so I will cover the negative stuff first.

1. Rear parcel shelf is pants, the main reason for this observation is its made out of a  similar material to those sun blinds you have for kids in the back that use the sucker cups to attach to the window very poor and not a good start.
    2. Rear luggage space is adequate for a suit case or two holdalls but not much more, main reason is raised height  of boot floor due to four wheel drive system.
    3. Rear passenger head and leg room limited but to be expected for size of car and how low the roof is positioned.
    4. Front passengers seat no height adjustment and it sits quite high so a little challenging craning my neck in and out to avoid the roof.
    5. The sound of the engine both outside and inside the cabin isn’t great, it has that growly type of sound synonymous with three pot engines.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Now for the positive.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  And bearing in mind it has 15 miles on the clock so the engine is quite raw in its feel. On my drive the car remained in Track mode which is drivetrain delivering 50/50 front to back. I was quite taken aback by how this thing accelerates, best way to describe the pick up is amazing and you immediately forget its a three potter and all the bad stuff associated with that, traffic island can be approached and taken in third gear which I wasn’t expecting  with the size if the engine and it having three cylinders. loads of low end grunt at one point I fed the power in to see three figures on the speedo. Only one way to describe the power and delivery WOW. Its so sure footed but the same time being agile and feels light to move about from lane to lane, changing direction is so enjoyable, the piped fake engine noise is not the best and far worse than the Focus, but where the focus feels like you have wielded the heavy artillery, the Yaris feels like a spitfire swooping in and picking the opposition  off and then off you go again for the next target.  The quality of the plastic and cabin materials if not as good as the Focus, but the drive is so good the delivery and handling is so nimble that you forgive each and every negative.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       So whats my verdict I hear you say, well it comes in the form of an order in black with circuit pack delivery middle of 2021.

Coastliner

DaveRS3
    Participant

United Kingdom

Great review Coast, Cheers.

Will it replace the RS? and if so, did you get a decent trade in?.

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

@DaveRS3

Her that should always be obeyed say’s the RS is staying, but a quick answer is yes it would be a more than adequate replacement.

Coastliner

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@coastliner, thanks for a great review 😺👍

Honorary Member

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

@Coastliner: Thanks for the review.

Now, remove the negative points and your positive description is suitable for the Fiesta ST – except for the AWD, but with the Quaife LSD.

What was your motivation to not compare or consider the Fiesta ST? (I just mention this because I sometimes drive my wife’s ST and it’s always a big smile to the mile.) 😉

Revo Stage 1 – JCR super low seating frame – Mishimoto gas pedal spacer – DSC sport controller

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

@frenk

Although I have not had the luxury of driving a Fiesta ST, going on looks alone for me the GR Yaris looks better more aggressive and I suspect the engine is a far better quality unit. Had Ford produced an ST or RS Fiesta with four wheel drive it would have been a serious contender. But I don’t think they will, should they decide to produce one it should take 3 years to develop properly. By that time it will be too late to the party. But if you get the chance please drive one of these I defy anyone to not be impressed by the feel of the car. And its been developed with influence of Tommi Makinen a true proper racer. Who did Ford use Ken Block I rest my case.

Coastliner

RS@WUB
    Participant

UK - England

interesting write up that, cant say I’m not tempted by one to replace mrs car, was it norwich dealership that has one to drive?

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

Cheers Coastliner. Fair enough.

Who am I to judge other people’s choices? In what concerns choices I believe we do not behave rationally anyway. After all, cars are a quite emotional thing, innit. Be it loyalty to the brand, the look and smell, big money to spend or a test drive by pure chance. You end up with what thrills you most if you have a choice at all.

My wife has always driven mandatory company cars: Lancia Dedra, BMW 5.25, Audi A6, Opel Insignia. Since she was promoted she could renounce and opted for a private car. She first considered a VW Beetle, Audi A3, Alfa Romeo Giulietta. But before that she got the opportunity to test drive a Fiesta ST+ at our Ford dealer’s around the corner. I warned her that she could get hooked immediately. To no avail. She signed the purchase order right after the test drive – and I paid. But she is happier than ever before. Can you ask for more? 😉

Revo Stage 1 – JCR super low seating frame – Mishimoto gas pedal spacer – DSC sport controller

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

@frenk

Everything you say is correct, this Yaris just feels like a lot of effort has been put into the development. Don’t get me wrong the RS is all the car one could want and will still be my special trip car for all those journey’s. I had planned to do the NC500 this year in the Focus, but now after driving the Yaris I think it would be a more appropriate car for that trip.

Coastliner

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

@helieandgareth

No was Burrows at Doncaster.

Coastliner

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

nice one Coast, so is it over 6 months wait for one?? whats the pricing like, is there any chance to get a discount or is it like the Focus was, full list only?? How did the black look in the skin? Ive seen the pearl white and loved it, place in kingston is getting a black one tomorrow so may pop over and have a look at it. I know I really want one to look like this….

4 tailpipes for a three pot 1600 !!, front end looks ruder too.. are they going to do a ltd edition MN or whatever ??

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

@71-bda

Yes black looks amazing as red caliper’s  and red GR badges look very striking against black . Yes seen the 4 tail pipe car. However styling differences appear to be only changes engine power the same, but who knows for sure. I guarantee you will be smitten if your half the petrol head I know you are. Its a little point and squirt pocket rocket. First thing I did was press the bonnet for the reflex test a surprisingly doesn’t flex like the RS. And yes a seven month wait with no discount. Demand is strong.

Coastliner

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by coastliner.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

be careful you dont dent that alooominum bonnet !!  7 months? bloody hell, I wanted it march 1st !! Have you got a number plate for it yet? I was kind of hoping my mate could do me some discount on one if i bung him his lost commission !! I will know next week i think !

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

@71-bda

No  not got a plate yet, will have a play with the DVLA.

Coastliner

grunty-motor
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Yaris GR Road Test.. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!