Yaris GR Road Test.

Home Forums General Non RS Chat Yaris GR Road Test.

Viewing 11 posts - 91 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • Author

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

I’m amazed at how short all of these youtubers and tuners memories are ! they are creaming themselves over this car and have forgotten that the RS does still exist ! The stock GR has about 200 BHP per tonne, the stock Focus RS has about 224 BHP per tonne, and now this ‘tuned’ GR too has a power to weight ratio basically exactly the same as a std RS !!  What they do not seem to realise is that why the GR seems to be quick is down to its SHORT GEARING !!  in  6th gear at 70 mph its doing a gnats over 3000 revs, whereas the Focus is cruising at just over 80mph with the same revs !!  if you could put 17 inch rims on the RS with 235/35×17 tyres, you would have the same overall gearing and same ‘responsive’ effect ! The yaris is flatout in second gear below 60mph ( may just touch 60 with the needle well in the red?), the Focus does 60 in second gear with ease !

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

kr1s
    Participant

UK - England

Agreed.
    And a rolling test comparison from almost any speed and in any gear

from no throttle to full

this car would be left for dead it’s turbo lag is massive.

stu-c
    Participant

UK - England

I’m a blue oval man too and would consider the fiesta RS (my Mk7 fiesta ST was excellent other than a rock hard ride). However, for the same reason they didn’t release the focus RS (fleet emissions), I’m guessing they wouldn’t do a RS fiesta.

If they did go for it then the power would most likely be down compared to the GR as ford just can’t allow the average fleet emissions to go up. I think Toyota have a better grounding in electrification to allow the GR too?

All that said, I’d love a 300hp AWD fiesta to play with.

NB FPM375

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

@johnybigarms

I sure am cannot wait for it to come, a great addition to our cars.

Coastliner

DaveRS3
    Participant

United Kingdom

Me knows mandiscatter brain, but me wants!.

If an AWD Fez with >250 bhp was available, i’d go for it but Ford just aren’t brave enough these days.

They should be fighting to make the very best ICE cars over the next 9 years for us all to collect but they don’t seem to give a crap about there own iconic history or making a name for themselves now.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by DaveRS3.

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

Nice review and thread over on PH…..  https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1907633.

Interesting view on speed/grip vs fun…… the Fiesta ST wins the comparison if your in the fun camp….   I think we as Mk3 RS driver have got the fun bit, the ability of the car to pivot on it’s axis, the RS does it by torque vectoring the FST by lift over over steer etc. It seems the YGR doesn’t!!!

Surely its all about the feel and feedback, not at the limit but before then, which we get with the RS and FST.  So while the YGR is super competent and quick, so is an Audi RS3 for example I’m not convinced it’s going to be the fun car people are expecting or wanting.   At the end of the day just about any recent car on the road can do the speed limit on a B road without any trouble or drama, seems to me the YGR is going to need to be hooned at some crazy speeds to get much reward back from it.

Don’t think Ford would even need to make a Fiesta RS AWD to be a success, Honda has done okay with a Tyre R.   Some styling changes, up the power, go light weight on the brakes and wheels for unsprung weight save, higher quality dampers, active ideally, new bushes and roll bars etc.  It would sell like hot cakes and be another classic RS. They YGR will be like a Type R, flavour of the month then drop away.

Ford fleet emission is rapidly improving,  a fair few hybrid versions coming along and now the Mustang Mach E,  all should make room for a Fiesta RS I reckon, my deposit is ready Mr Ford 😉

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

I have driven a few Fiesta’s mainly as courtesy cars albeit not Fully fledged ST’s. For my personal choice they just look dated, and I have lost count of the number of different versions of the ST. We all know and you 9 designs should know more than most properly limited numbers are desirable, the Type R first came out in 2015 and low and behold its still in production, that’s why its not special, limited run always works.

Coastliner

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

But the YGR isn’t a limited run, had they been 1/900 etc then that would help reduce depreciation.  Obviously the ST has always been a full production car and used daily by most and not made a garage queen.  Agree starting to be too many limited editions on the ST.  Give us the RS 😀.

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

@9 designs

Don’t get me wrong my RS is a keeper had it 4.5 years already set up a new service plan on it, The GRY will be just another tool in my garage. I know loads on here are willing Ford to produce an RS Fiesta, if they do it should already be in the pipeline and will need to produce the figures of the GR. If its not in development yet I fear the development could be rushed and end up with issues similar to the Focus. The GR has been in development for three years.

Coastliner

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

The FST is an awesome piece of kit and even better in the Performance Edition guise.

By simply adding an LSD, Coilvers and lighter wheels they made a very competent car an extremely better car.

Im guessing the FST Performance will out live the Yaris and have better residuals in 3/5/10 years time.

The icing on the cake would be give the FST the same power as the GR and it wouldn’t be such a highlight

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

johnybigarms
    Participant

UK - England

Popped in to my local Toyota dealer, took a good look at the GR, there are some points I would definitely worry about if I owed one, the black plastic exterior parts are all black gloss unpainted plastics, and they micro scratch with ease, they include the mirrors, spoiler, rear diffuser, rear light surrounds and front bumper/grill sections.

The car sits too high in the arches, the dash styling is odd and the instrument binnacle looks really dated.

The seats are really nice, the steering wheel is small and feels great, the gear box feels great, so I’m still very interested in the car, and have booked a test drive in 10 days time, a 1 hour slot without a chaperone, looking forward to seeing how she drives, but I must say, it would have to drive better than she looks, the RS certainly feels a better finished product, and a better looking car overall, but I’m a sucker for pocket rockets and the wide bodied GR is still a tempting thing to own.

Mountune M380 package

Mishimoto throttle Pedal Spacer

Mountune Hard Charge Pipes

JCR super low seat frames x 2

DSC Suspension Controller

Viewing 11 posts - 91 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Yaris GR Road Test.. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!