New Engine Possibillities

Home Forums Performance Engine New Engine Possibillities

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 82 total)
  • Author

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Still waiting to find out what’s caused the issue and the next steps.

Worse case and most likely case is I’ll need a new engine. Since my engine was forged by Mountune I would like to do the same or have a similar engine as i’m running m400x map and feel like i wouldn’t enjoy the car if I went to the standard map.

I’ve seen these engine up to about 8K. A standard engine I think is about 5-6k and Mountune forging the engine was about 5k so buying an engine already upgraded similar to mine would make more sense. I’ve always had thoughts of getting the car to 500BHP but not so sure now.

I see these ones have upgraded bearing etc. I don’t think these were options fitted when the previous owner got it forged at Mountune. I think it’s purely pistons and rods that were done. Since the first garage believes it’s the big end bearing that’s caused my engine issue then the upgraded bearings should prevent something like this happening again??

What’s people’s thoughts on these engines?

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Devil Development engines at Pumaspeed, not checked availability. Don’t know if the Wiseco Boostline Rods are an improvement over the Carillo ones at Mountune
    https://pumaspeed.co.uk/product-Devil-Developments-700-bhp-Spec-Focus-RS-Mk3-New-Built-Forged-EcoBoost-Engine—Extreme-Edition_19149.jsp

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

I’m sure the price will change on this one depending on specs chosen
    https://pumaspeed.co.uk/product-Focus-RS-Mk3-650bhp-Spec-New-Built-Forged-EcoBoost-Engine_18268.jsp

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

https://j-w-racing.co.uk/product.php/12394/5284/mountune_high_performance_2_3l_focus_rs_mk3_short_block

Probably wouldn’t go with any optional extras just to keep the cost down.
    If my forged pistons and rods are fine then could I re-use them in a new engine? unless the other bits that come with them are ruined.

It wouldn’t let me post all this in the one go. So annoying.

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

What happened to it?

I’d be surprised if the bearings “failed”  you don’t need better ones for that power level anyway.   Oil supply problem perhaps or badly built.

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Ticking noise

Video of it.

Just over 30k miles now so about 19k miles since it was forged at mountune.

Nateodog
    Participant

UK - England

Barny build look them up

SABRE

666.6 bhp 99 oct & wmi

558 lbft

OEMeth installs

Aquamist

sabre tuning

Spec-R

J9-performance

funk motorsport

Hel

Owen developments

WP Pro brakes

HELIX Automotive

KW suspensions

Barney Build

Grant Motorsport

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

Noise could be a piston skirt collapse unlikely on a built Mountune engine using Mahle forged piston and a M400X or R map. Or more likely bearings.

Just get your existing block linear bored (if it’s a bearing) as in the future a matching numbers car is worth more, than a car with Mia-matched numbers and then a new Callies light weight crank, job done.

Lastly get the rods checked for still being true and straight. Mountune rods only come in a set of 4 and are mucho £££££’s

Tri-metal bearings are a good shout as an upgrade bearing, those are what Mountune use and sell

Good engine builds if you don’t want to do the above on your OEM engine

Devil Developments

Pumabuild

Matt Lewis

MSD

Their are lots and lots of good engine builders out their  each with multiple options on rods pistons bearings cranks etc etc

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@nateodog

That where you get all your work done?

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@white-rs2
    Thanks. Will see what the damage is first and go from there. If AG Motorsport can rebuild the engine I’d do that with some upgraded bearings and cams since the engine is out. See how much this costs me before considering the light weight crank 😂

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

turbo-tone
    Participant

UK - England

Me thinks that’s broken. What’s the plan?

Collins Cp2 map. Ramair induction. Mountune mud flaps. Scorpion Sports Cat. Scorpion Tracker. Wind deflectors. NB washer jets and shark fin aerial. EBC Grooved discs, YellowStuff pads. Airtec Intercooler, Miltek cat back with titanium tips. Collins quickshift. DSC Controller

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Yup broken mahle piston..  They said the bores look good so will need to get new pistons and have advised to change the timing chain, guides/tensioners and maybe the clutch and flywheel.

Wondering whether to get the same pistons again from mountune or if there is something better

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to New Engine Possibillities. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!